Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use the dishwasher

On 10/29/2018 4:16 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:26:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/29/2018 12:58 PM,
wrote:

I don't have a dishwasher but when we rent houses on vacation they
usually do. I suppose they are great if you don't mind dirty dishes
but I still find myself hand washing them, either before or after they
go through the dishwasher.

I do believe they save water but I am not sure what the tradeoff is in
power usage. It certainly appears to me that the 1KW heating element
is on for most of the cycle, even if you let them air dry. Otherwise
you would be washing dishes in cold water most of that time. The water
definitely seems hotter at the end of the cycle than at the start.

Why would they be dirty? In a rental, chances are it is a cheap machine
and crappy detergent. We have a KitchenAid DW and use Cascade Platinum
detergent pods. If a dish is really dirty, the most it gets is a pssst
under the faucet to get the big chunks off. Dishes and glassware comes
out sparkling clean like it is brand new. I have glasses that were my
grandmother's and are at least 80 years old and still look great.

You do use hot water for the connection and there is one cycle that does
boost the temperature to sanitize. I can't imagine not having a machine.

Dunno, Maybe they were cheap machines but it was unlikely since we
usually rent a pretty high end house.
This is the one we had in Badrock Montana
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/montana/Bad...ry%20House.jpg

I guess I just never saw the need. We don't usually have that many
dishes to wash and the idea of saving up dirty ones for a few days is
not attractive to me.

I would think a place like that would have a decent machine.

We run ours roughly every other day. The dishes are in a box and we
don't see them except when adding a few more. I've washed plenty of
dishes but prefer automation and superior quality.