Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use the dishwasher

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 07:06:02 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

This might not be new to most but anyhow:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/05/05/why-you-shouldnt-wash-your-dishes-by-hand/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5d995a1e3c6f

Machines do better than people.

I don't have a dishwasher but when we rent houses on vacation they
usually do. I suppose they are great if you don't mind dirty dishes
but I still find myself hand washing them, either before or after they
go through the dishwasher.

I do believe they save water but I am not sure what the tradeoff is in
power usage. It certainly appears to me that the 1KW heating element
is on for most of the cycle, even if you let them air dry. Otherwise
you would be washing dishes in cold water most of that time. The water
definitely seems hotter at the end of the cycle than at the start.