Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default UV and LEDs, was: Flourescent lights

On 10/29/2018 8:30 AM, TimR wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 1:49:52 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 1:08:54 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/26/18 9:31 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Both my direct fit (uses ballast) conversions in the basement and my
dedicated LED fixture in the garage light immediately at full bright.

I have had some CFLs (spirals inside floodlight enclosures) that took
awhile to come on, but have never had a LED that didn't come on right away.

That's why I was curious about Tim's with the delay. He also said that
they were the direct wire in type, so that rules out anything to do with
the old ballast, etc. LEDs are solid state, don't need to warm up, use
very little power, are supplied with simple switching power supplies.
I can't figure out why there would be a delay. Or why you'd make them
that way when like you say, all the other LEDs you've seen, come on
instantly, as has been my experience. Maybe they figured out people with
old florescents expect the delay and will miss it?

Yes, tombstones not coffins. Sorry, I had brain cramp.

I expected them to light immediately.

My kitchen has two fixtures, each on a separate switch (but in one box, so you can flip both at the same time.) I replaced one with LED and left the other for later if I ended up liking the LED. Since I bought a box of 10 T12s, I have some spare tubes to use up. Also that one is a little more of a pain to get to the wires, being over the stove.

When I flip both switches, the old T12 fixture lights right away. If it is really cold down there it comes to full brightness later but it's on immediately. The LED follows it by 1 - 2 seconds (I'll try to time it more exactly; now I'm curious.)

I have no idea why the delay. I have some LED replacements for regular incandescent bulbs and they all light immediately.

I've seen LED lamps light immediately and some after a very short delay.
It most likely depends on the amount of filtering (capacitance) in the
power supply inside the lamp. I have some LED bulbs that are pretty
small and apparently have very little filtering. You can see every
little voltage fluctuation in the brightness of the bulb. I have some
LED can lights that slowly dim out when you shut off the switch ... lots
of filter capacitance. Most fluorescent lamps don't come up to full
brightness immediately, especially true of CFLs and also when they are
cold. LEDs, once they are on, they are at full. Two seconds is a
really long time ... even 1 second is long. The 4' tubes installed in
all the fixtures in my church take a long time, but I doubt if they are
over 1 second.