Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Ideas for leveling this floor.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message news
I'm waiting on the window system to get here for my 3-season Patio.
In the mean time, I'm finishing up a lot of details and trim work,
including putting down a section of the kitchen flooring that had to be
taken up, temporarily.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bi8qjLdnUQTjYwj69

The joists underneath this section of floor were very rotted which helped
cause a pretty good dip in the floor. Because we were pouring a new
concrete pad for the patio, I was able to cut out most of the rotted
joists, shore everything up, and replace that section with the concrete
pad.

For many reasons, it was not feasible or even a good idea lift the joists
up to take the dip out of the floor. But I didn't want the new pad to dip
with the old floor, so I had the pad poured level and figured I'd shim the
sub-floor to meet the pad.

That's where I'm at. There's a 3/4" difference in height from the left
side, 12ft. over to the right side and it's only about 16" wide. In my
mind I have 2 options...

I see this scenario as a trip hazard if you try to fix it in 16 inches... As
such, I'd be inclined to remove the flooring and sub-floor for about 4 feet
and then place solid wood tapped shims on top of the existing joists to
blend the two levels. Then reinstall the sub-floor and finish flooring.
Spread over 4 feet the trip hazard would be pretty well eliminated.

Regarding the shims, I'd attach them to the joists with glue and finish
nails to avoid splitting them. After the glue dries nail or screw the
sub-floor down and go from there.