Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Ideas for leveling this floor.

On 10/28/18 5:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 2:09:55 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
I'm waiting on the window system to get here for my 3-season Patio.
In the mean time, I'm finishing up a lot of details and trim work,
including putting down a section of the kitchen flooring that had to be
taken up, temporarily.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bi8qjLdnUQTjYwj69

The joists underneath this section of floor were very rotted which
helped cause a pretty good dip in the floor. Because we were pouring a
new concrete pad for the patio, I was able to cut out most of the rotted
joists, shore everything up, and replace that section with the concrete
pad.
For many reasons, it was not feasible or even a good idea lift the
joists up to take the dip out of the floor. But I didn't want the new
pad to dip with the old floor, so I had the pad poured level and figured
I'd shim the sub-floor to meet the pad.

That's where I'm at. There's a 3/4" difference in height from the left
side, 12ft. over to the right side and it's only about 16" wide. In my
mind I have 2 options...

1- Lay plywood sections down in different thicknesses, in increments
from 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4, forming a ramp to level it out.
Sand the seems between sections and let the flooring adhesive fill any
small gaps. But this means gluing these sections of plywood down to the
concrete.

Assuming I have my math right..

How about resawing wide tapered shims from 0" to .625", gluing them
side by side to the back of 1/8" plywood to create that "ramp" you
mentioned? A few Tapcons to hold it in place and Bob's your uncle.

.625 + .125 = .75

With shims laid side by side, your ramp would be one solid piece.

The shims don't have to be 12' long, cut my math in half and make
them 6' long, butted end-to-end.

Yeah, good ideas. I'll consider that. Thanks.
Part of me wants to do the mortar thing just to put another skill on the
list, you know?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)