ARWadsworth

Default Tool for digging grooves in walls

"Set Square" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

Robert Irwin scribbled :
As a matter of interest, is it worth putting some sort of trunking in
the
groove before putting cable in, or can I get away with just slapping
plaster
over it?

Use capping which is specifically used to cover cables.
Its just nailed over the top of the cables and comes either as metal
or plastic, plastic is much easier for cutting and fixing.

Metal capping is much safer - because it makes it much harder to drill

into
the cable by accident! Metal can be cut fairly easily with tip snips - and
held in place with galvanised felt nails prior to plastering over it.

[Even
if the walls are brick, you can usually nail into the mortar courses

without
too much difficulty].

Metal capping comes in various widths for different cable sizes. One of

the
most popular sizes takes two 2.5mm^2 T&W cables side by side for ring main
wiring. You might find that you have to go to a proper electrical

wholesaler
to get metal capping - many of the DIY sheds only seem to stock the

plastic
rubbish these days.

Most SDS drills will go straight through metal capping without you knowing
it is there and I believe it should be earthed to meet the regs.

--
Adam