Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Recommend work bench thickness

On 10/24/2018 3:32 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 11:11:38 AM UTC-5, Clark Moss wrote:

I didn't think I could buy a new fence for a 50+ year old machine, and original parts are way out of my price range (if you can find them). Time for a new fence!

I suspect you could buy a new fence to fit the table saw very easily. Table saws have not changed much at all in about 50 years. The same parts that fit them 50 years ago still fit them today. I have a 25 year old Delta Contractor saw. I put a Biesemeyer fence on it 25 years ago. Today I could buy a Biesemeyer fence and install it the same. Nothing has changed in 25 years. And I'm pretty sure nothing has changed in 50 years either. The original Delta Unisaw from 1930 could fit a brand new Biesemeyer fence today. Or Delta's new table saw fence they invented 20 years ago. Unifence? Or any of the other new table saw fences. They all fit all old saws.

The old saw has a different hole pattern, although the height is
perfect. Also the threaded holes in the table are not metric. I had to
drill one new hole in the fence, and counter sink the holes in the fence
to use the original fence screws. Can't recall if I used the old screws
or bought new sae screws, but in general you are right, the fence fit
almost perfectly.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com