Posted to rec.woodworking
Clark Moss Clark Moss is offline

Default Recommend work bench thickness

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 6:34:16 AM UTC-7, Jack wrote:
On 10/23/2018 11:22 PM, Clark Moss wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 7:06:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 14:50:43 -0700 (PDT), Clark Moss
wrote:

Here's the BEFORE pictu
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1jybVgNDodzRv14i9

Here's the AFTER pictu
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VH2ngtHivxbgvZzF7

Nice! I'm surprised at the direction of the boards.

I'm hoping that doesn't impact strength. These boards were glued up over 20 years ago... I had three panels and only needed to cut 1/2 inch or so off every side to get them all to fit.

Strength shouldn't be an issue, unless working on an elephant. At any
rate, it will be stronger in this orientation.

On a side note, I had the exact same table saw fence on my saw. Great
upgrade was to a Delta Fence I got on sale at Low's for $150.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Thanks, Jack, i'll look that up. The table saw was also handed down from Grandpa. He bought it new somewhere between '60-'62. It's in fantastic shape! The only downside is ALL of the safety guards etc. are long gone. The top end of the fence has a tendency to move slightly when being locked down. I check the alignment every time I move the damn thing. I didn't think I could buy a new fence for a 50+ year old machine, and original parts are way out of my price range (if you can find them). Time for a new fence!