Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Recommend work bench thickness

On 10/23/2018 2:47 AM, Clark Moss wrote:
Luckily it's edge grain butcher block. It's pine or fir, so it's gong to get beat up quick. But again... Free, and in better shape than the maple 1x8s on there now.
Next I need to research dog hole spacing and how many you really need. I'm sure that depends on the project.

I built my bench in 1975 and it has a fir butcher block top I made out
of construction grade 2x4's ripped in half and glued up. I figured the
top would get beat up and would be easily and cheaply replaced or sanded
down. After 43 years of use and abuse, I never needed to replace it, or
sand it down.

All the wear and tear (not all that much considering it's cheap
softwood) is a romantic reminder of the 43 years of hard work spent
together and I wouldn't remotely consider replacing or removing it's
hard earned patina.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/bench03.JPG

--
Jack