Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default Recommend work bench thickness

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 7:31:39 PM UTC-5, Clark Moss wrote:
What is the minimum recommended bench top thickness when using bench-dogs or other types of hold-fasts?

I'm replacing the top of my work table with some 1.25 inch thick butcher block. I'd like to add some 3/4 inch holes for hold fasts.

Free butcher block? Great I would think about using it also. BUT you will have the end grain up, which means any spills are going right down into the top. I much prefer the Rubo style of 2.75 to 3.5 inches. You get the weight to provide a lot more stability to your bench, assuming you put reasonable legs on it.

What you could do is use the butcher block and top it with a second top of about 1.5" thick with the side grain up. Two advantages, 1) its a whole lot easier to handle than a 3" solid top and 2) you do not have the end grain wicking up anything that drop on it.