Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Is it smart to get smart meters yet (/ever)?

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:08:38 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 19/10/2018 12:43, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 21:44:10 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 18/10/2018 18:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

T i m wrote:

So, where are we on them now ... are they a 'good thing' or likely to
be / stay one, do I ring them up and say 'no thanks' for her?

No guarantee that any that is fitted yet will be portable between
suppliers, if not it may be re-configured to become portable, otherwise
it will get replaced again eventually.

It means she will know that anyone knocking on the door claiming to be
a meter reader will be a crook.

Except every couple of years when they *will* send a human to read one
or other of the meters anyway ...

Ofgem abolished in Feb 2016 the obligation to try to check meters every
2 years. We've not had the (indoor) electricity meter read since 2014.

Maybe but my supplier sent a reader round a couple of weeks ago
(presumably prior to the forthcoming price hike they are introducing).
If the reader had come round to the other door he's have passed the
external meter on the way.

Can the supplier read your (allegedly) smart meter ?

?? - are you responding to the right post?

--
AnthonyL