David McCulloch

Default 1957 Crane Sink

I just added a 2nd picture to the web page. It shows the damage.
http://www.execpc.com/~dbm/sink

Oh, yeah, I would definitely try epoxy to repair. At this point, you have
nothing to lose. If you can find the chips, great, but even then I would
just mud the drain assemply in place with the epoxy, to ensure a good

water
seal at the bottom. When you finally remodel, you'll have to cut it out

with
a saw, but at that point you won't care. Scuff up the shiny part of the
china to get a good bond, and use the fiber tape to tie it all together.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm not sure how it's all supposed to fit together
for the overflow to work correctly, but I suspect that my plumber (i.e., the
experienced father who replaced his son who broke my sink) and I will be
able to figure it out.

One more question...
I wonder if there is a way that I could cut some wax paper, use it to shield
the pipe fitting and encircle some epoxy putty so as to form a perfect
contact to the wax-protected pipe fitting? After the epoxy putty cures, I
could remove the wax paper and proceed with the installation as if the sink
never broke. Thoughts?

Impressive quality on the pictures, by the way. Wish my toy Nikon
digital did as well on closeups.

Thanks! :-) It was taken with an old 2-megapixel Toshiba and then
processed with Paint Shop Pro 8.10. I am waiting for the perfect camera to
appear on http://www.dpreview.com/reviews, but that might be a while!

Dave