Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil changeand ending with engine replacement

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 7:37:02 PM UTC-4, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
trader_4

I agree, that's generally true. Many jobs that would be $500 at the dealer,
you can DIY for $50 or $100 in parts. And then there are the jobs avoided
because when you know what's really wrong, what really needs fixing vs
what may be BS the dealer is telling you, that could save thousands.

The teacher said he was in the military where he was an expert in excuses.

He was adamant that people spend more time on excuses than on reasons for
doing any distasteful job. He kept saying that the time wasted on excuses
would be better spent on learning how to do the job right in the first
place.

He spent a lot of time on the excuses, probably half that first 90 minute
class, where the sheet of blue paper the kid handed out had all the reasons
we each said was why our wives were not there were all already on it.

He said the excuses for not doing any job are universal.
He said the military is great for excuses which is where he learned this.

He kept telling us that it's OK if someone doesn't want to do a job.
He just told us to recognize the reason as an excuse & not a real reason.

Well go ahead, believe what you want to believe, that instructor said it,
must be true. BTW, are you growing all your own fruits and vegetables?
Raising chickens for eggs and meat? Do your own dry cleaning? Process
all your waste into compost? Who the hell is that instructor to decide
what are excuses. Why don't you ask him where he gets his eggs.
He already sounds like an asshole to me.

I'd add CV joints. That's a common repair. Where these jobs fall on the list
of difficulty depends in large part on the actual vehicle. A Porsche 911,
good luck doing a spark plug replacement on that for example. Which is
why it's a good thing plugs are good to 100K now.

I forgot about worn ball joints, u joints, and cv joints!
Plus maybe wheel bearings? (Do they wear out in the first 100K miles?)

Thank you for that suggestion.
I will add these wear items to the list.

Probably with the shocks and struts.