Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil changeand ending with engine replacement

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 6:15:48 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 10/17/2018 4:20 PM, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
Ed Pawlowski
You can make #1 the oil change as it is usually fairly simple.

#2 should be "trade in before warranty is up so the dealer will do all
the work"

Getting tough to do simple things on cars the way the engine
comparment is crammed.

The teacher said a list of fallacies on the first day where that was on the
list (in different words). He said it's easier now than it's ever been.

Even though I couldn't keep it at 10, how's this dirty dozen list looking?

1. Oil & filter change
2. Battery replacement (standard battery setup)
3. Periodic scheduled maintenance (sometimes called a scheduled tune up)
Â* (filters, spark plugs, wipers, hoses, pcv, fluids, tires) 4. Belt &
belt tensioner replacement
5. Brake overhaul (rotors, drums, pads, shoes)
6. Cooling system overhaul (radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses)
7. Alternator replacement
8. Shock absorber or strut replacement
9. Starter replacement
10. Engine belt, chain guide, or engine chain replacement
11. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
12. Remove & replace engine

It's hard to put in an easy-to-hard order, but how's that looking?

Mostly far beyond owner...

I'd agree most are beyond the typical owner.

I don't know what the teacher's exact quote was, but if the intent was
that repair is easier than ever, I'd strongly disagree--it may be that
many what used to be common need for repair has disappeared with newer
technology and better-built (in general) vehicles, but doing _anything_
almost is much more difficult than years ago simply owing to lack of
access if nothing else.

I think that's generally true, but it all depends on the particular
repair and the vehicle. Air filter is a little more involved than
when it was a round one on top of the carb, but I've done BMW and Honda
and they were 5 min jobs, the box is right there with clips holding
the cover on. On the other hand getting to say an alternator or water
pump I don't think generally is what it used to be. There is more
stuff in less space, so you have stuff in the way and not nearly as
much space to work. On the other hand, if you have the right diagnostic
equipment that can connect and read everything out, that can save a
lot of time. If you don't know what's wrong, have say a rough running
engine, good luck figuring that out without the diagnostic tool.

One trivial example -- the battery in the Chrysler 300M (along w/ a
bunch of other MoPar vehicles) was in the bottom of the RF fender well
underneath other immovable stuff. There was an access panel inside the
fender well, but to get to the battery even for routine maintenance
required removing the RF wheel. In the Buicks it's either under the
rear seat (Lucerne, other passenger vehicles) or in a box under a panel
in the rear floor (Enclave). Again, both make for routine maintenance
"ain't happening".

How about the heater blower? Decades ago, they were right under the passenger
dash, easy to replace from underneath. The BMW I had to pull the whole dash
because it's buried in the center. And to pull the dash, you first have to
pull the center console. So it was steering wheel, transmission shift,
dash, center console, just to get to it.

Even light bulbs often take an engineering degree to figure out just
what pieces parts are necessary to remove the whole taillight assembly
instead of just being able to remove a lens cover w/ a screwdriver and
replace a bulb.

Or how to get the freaking connectors off or apart. BMW likes to use
about every different variety there is, all different and few that you
have any idea how they come off by looking at them. And that's assuming
you can see it.

I'd give a starter list about like

1. Windshield wiper replace/washer fluid refill
2. Cabin and engine air filters
3. Lights/bulbs...
4. Other fluid levels (oil/tranny, brake)
5. Battery (presuming conventional)
6. Oil change/filter
7. Unibelt replacement

Beyond that, on anything I've seen within last 10 years, you're starting
to talk pretty serious access issues for the average owner...

I've said for ages if they would _just_ put 4-corner independent
suspension, disk brakes and A/C on a '63 Chevy, w/ a modern 3.8L, I'd be
more than happy.

--

I told him in another post that he should add CV joint replacement to the
list, that's a common repair, more common than the struts or shock absorbers.