Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 15:03:58 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 9:21:43 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 10/15/2018 4:37 PM, William Ahern wrote:

I'm a novice. I've been building garage shelving the hard way by
meticulously edge gluing 1"x6"x8' pine boards to practice technique. I'm
preparing to edge glue some 2"x12"x4' douglas fir for heavy-duty rolling
shelves (previous shelves hung on wall brackets). I bought some cheap
dimensional douglas fir that was already sufficiently dry but cupped, unlike
the pine boards which were flat enough. But I lack a planer and am not
particularly interested in buying one. (The point of the shelving is to help
reduce clutter and to get everything off the floor. Adding bulky tools isn't
helping things.) I tried hand planing with a jack-plane but there are too
many knots, and I've decided I don't want to deal with 24' of those (nor pay
for wood that can be easily handtooled, which would be the smart thing).

I'm not a novice and I would not recommend edge gluing cupped 2x12's for
shelving. If you want 22 1/2" shelves, I would recommend plywood. If
you really wish to use 2x lumber, stick with 2x6 or less for the glue
ups. When choosing the lumber, look for quarter sawn or rift cut boards
to reduce/eliminate cupping.

Did someone mention plywood shelves? The back shelves are 20" deep to the
stud faces, the side ones are 16". The loft is 36" deep.

20" works well for a shelf and allows you to rip cleats from the cutoffs.
Very little waste.

https://i.imgur.com/0v44CJq.jpg

I built the loft about 30 years, but the shelves are only a few months old. I
built them to replace a hodge-podge of individual shelving units, including
an old particle board entertainment center. Can you say fugly?

They work so well I'm thinking of going out to get more stuff just so I can
build some more shelves. ;-)

"Stuff expands to fill the amount of space available." Making
more shelves, just increases the amount of space available.

I have stopped "shifting" stuff around in the house to "make
room", for it seems she just fills it all back up anyway. Sigh.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich