Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

(Scott Lurndal) on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:10:38 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich writes:
Sonny on Sat, 13 Oct 2018 11:23:11 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 11:39:51 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Then I stumbled across this Wood Whisperer thread:

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/art...gh-the-planer/

I wouldn't use a planer. I'd probably use a router, for initial flattening. A cutting board is not that large, that a sharp hand plane and/or a belt sander would be sufficient, before finish sanding.

If memory serves, weren't the "little" block planes developed in
part for smoothing butcher blocks?

It's not the size of the plane that matters so much as the angle
of the blade to the wood. A very low angle works better on
end-grain than the standard angle (a higher angle than standard works better
on gnarly grain). A low-angle jack would be the go-to plane
for smoothing a butcher block, IMO.

"Low angle jack" - that's what I was trying to remember.
--
pyotr filipivich