Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

On 10/14/2018 7:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"the problem there is one has to use something more than simply a
butt glue joint for strength to be sure there isn't a failure there
so it's quite a lot of extra work to do that."

What about making the workpiece extra long, then gluing and screwing the
leading and trailing end pieces? The piece would be long enough that once
the screws are removed, the holes in the actual cutting board would be cut
off also.

If using screws is a really bad idea because of the still-present danger
of the board breaking apart, I'd accept that answer wholeheartedly.

I wouldn't put much faith in the glue part of the joint so it's counting
on the screws to do the job. _Probably_ would be just fine but
personally I'd worry about the "what if" enough I'd be awfully
reluctant, personally.

If I were to go that route, I think I'd just go ahead and run a 1/4" or
3/8" dado and use a spline as the joint...it's more work but not a
terrible, terrible lot.

I really do think the taper is enough, if you're careful-careful to not
accidentally get too deep a cut on that first pass...