Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1:07:18 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I went to a crafts festival and saw some end grain cutting boards. One of
them was made from Douglas fir, which I just happen to have lying around.
Extra boards left over for the bed I built for my daughter.

https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

So I said to myself, "Christmas gifts!" I went on YouTube, looked at the
process and decided it's time to buy a planer.

Then I stumbled across this Wood Whisperer thread:

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/art...gh-the-planer/

Now I'm shaking in my boots. However, I also read about techniques like
adding runners to make it safer.

If I decide to move forward, it seems like I will be learning to use a
power planer on a somewhat advanced/dangerous project. Obviously I would
practice on some flat boards to get a feel for the machine before I fed
something that could hurt me badly into it, but I'd like some encouragement/tips (or warnings/"Don't do it!") from you guys before I proceed.

Thanks!

"Don't do it!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prt3HMq_k1g

I had to chuckle, not at the video that you supplied, but at the one that
automatically followed it. As soon as the one you linked to ended, the
next one was Tom Silva and Kevin OConnor (Ask This Old House) making a
end grain cutting board by sending it through the planer.

They had added leading and trailing boards to "prevent chipping", per Tom.
Tom also said "I could sand it but that's going to take a lot of work" and
(as to the planer) "only taking a little bit off each time".

He also stood almost directly in line with the in feed end of the planer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97enrnp0MY

Here's a video of a guy using every precaution available, explaining each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2LSj4RhAs