Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

On 10/13/2018 12:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I went to a crafts festival and saw some end grain cutting boards. One of
them was made from Douglas fir, which I just happen to have lying around.
Extra boards left over for the bed I built for my daughter.

https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

So I said to myself, "Christmas gifts!" I went on YouTube, looked at the
process and decided it's time to buy a planer.

Then I stumbled across this Wood Whisperer thread:

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/art...gh-the-planer/

Now I'm shaking in my boots. However, I also read about techniques like
adding runners to make it safer.

If I decide to move forward, it seems like I will be learning to use a
power planer on a somewhat advanced/dangerous project. Obviously I would
practice on some flat boards to get a feel for the machine before I fed
something that could hurt me badly into it, but I'd like some encouragement/tips (or warnings/"Don't do it!") from you guys before I proceed.

I've not made end grain cutting boards, but, my recommendation is not to
unless you get a segmented spiral cutter head. If buying a planer, (or
jointer) I highly recommend getting a segmented, spiral cutter head
anyway. These things cut knots, wild grain and so on without a stutter.
The cutter heads are a little more money, but well worth it.

I would still use at least a leading edge made of long grain to get the
cut started, and possibly a trailing edge as well for tear out, but that
could be cut off later. The leading edge is where kickback might come
from and that could be bad for your and the planer.

The advantages of spiral segmented cutter are many, so do yourself a
favor if buying a planer and go for the better tool here.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com