Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 11:39:51 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Then I stumbled across this Wood Whisperer thread:

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/art...gh-the-planer/

I wouldn't use a planer. I'd probably use a router, for initial flattening.. A cutting board is not that large, that a sharp hand plane and/or a belt sander would be sufficient, before finish sanding.

Chain sawed slabs, then disk sanded with 32 grit.... After belt sanding (80, 120 and 320 grit), palm sanding was sufficient for these end grain side tables. A few touch-up hand sanding spots to make the grain show clearly over the whole surface. Time consuming, but worth it, especially with nice grain detail. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I've made at least half a dozen of these sorts of tables. I suppose the surfacing of these tops are similar to surfacing cutting boards.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I think these, above, are the only end grain work I have experience with. I've never made a cutting board.

Cutting boards don't need to be absolutely perfectly flat, anyway, IMO.

Sonny