Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Planing End Grain (Cutting Boards)

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I went to a crafts festival and saw some end grain cutting boards. One of
them was made from Douglas fir, which I just happen to have lying around.
Extra boards left over for the bed I built for my daughter.

https://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

So I said to myself, "Christmas gifts!" I went on YouTube, looked at the
process and decided it's time to buy a planer.

Then I stumbled across this Wood Whisperer thread:

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/art...gh-the-planer/

Now I'm shaking in my boots. However, I also read about techniques like
adding runners to make it safer.

If I decide to move forward, it seems like I will be learning to use a
power planer on a somewhat advanced/dangerous project. Obviously I would
practice on some flat boards to get a feel for the machine before I fed
something that could hurt me badly into it, but I'd like some encouragement/tips (or warnings/"Don't do it!") from you guys before I proceed.

Thanks!

"Don't do it!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prt3HMq_k1g