Posted to uk.d-i-y
Handsome Jack Handsome Jack is offline

Default Backup/restore/external drive advice wanted please

newshound posted
On 11/10/2018 13:00, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

robocopy H:\ c:\Users\me\documents\H_backup /MIR

Be aware that with robocopy, the /MIR switch will delete a file in
the destination if it no longer exists in the source, that can catch
people out if they expect files to "accumulate" in the destination
over time ...

Ah yes, very good point.

xcopy d:\usr\*.* H:\Archive /d/s/i/c/r/h/y/f
will copy all new files and folders on d:\usr to the backup drive h:,
and overwrite existing backed-up files on H: with the newer versions on
d:, without deleting anything on H.

But I am using that deliberately in some of my cases where I might
change file names to help manage data structures better. It does mean
you are not left with multiple copies of otherwise very similar stuff,
much of it slightly out of date.

But sometimes it's handy to keep the earlier versions.

--
Jack