Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Backup/restore/external drive advice wanted please

On 12/10/18 13:27, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 06:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

You've already got easy to operate software. OPen file manager,
select all, copy. Go to your new external usb disc, create a new
folder and paste. It could not be simpler.

That only works as long as you remember to save a fresh copy of
anything that changes, or regularly save everything then de-dupe it.

I agree. The best backup system "just works" whenever it can.

That's why I like Tresorit (but it could be any number of cloud
solutions). If my computer is logged in as me, and has Internet access,
the client is running and syncing. As it's hooked into the linux dnotify
subsystem, it's efficient too as the kernel pings it whenever somehting
changed or got added.

You could probably do something home based with a NAS too - it's really
about how good the backup software is.