Andrew Mawson

Default Tool for digging grooves in walls

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:fe7e6bcef6dee49860f62514e4dcdc7e.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Alan" wrote in message

In message lgate.org,
Michael McNeil wrote

It's unlikely to have engineering brick so you should still be able to
manage with a 3" boulster and a 16 oz hammer. I would steer clear of a
4" boulster and lump hammer if I was a newbie -and knew enough to
realise that a little and often is the best MO chasing anything.

If it's going to be done by hand a chasing comb and with lump hammer
would be more suitable.

A 4" boulster and a lump hammer is all you need. About 5 or 10 quid in
the local market. However if you have never used a lump hammer you might
find a lighter one a lot easier to use.

If it took half an hour to hack out for each point and you wanted say
three each in (how many rooms do council houses have?) that would take
you less than a day. But you would be wielding an unusual weight for
most of that day.

That was all I was trying to point out.

The plastic jigs that are the outline of a wall box and let you drill
multiple chain holes are well worth the pound or two that they cost. I've
cut perhap 100 wall box holes in various houses over the years using a
bolster chisel and lump hammer, but recently got one of the jigs and find
them excellent.

Andrew Mawson