Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Backup/restore/external drive advice wanted please

On 11/10/2018 11:49, Broadback wrote:
On 11/10/2018 11:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 11/10/18 10:32, Broadback wrote:
I have been using a Maxtor external drive, sadly it has stopped working.
As the drive does not like windows 10 I cannot test it easily.
I have a desktop computer with 931Gb drive of which 103Gb is in use. I
would dearly like a simple, well easy to operate, backup and restore
software and a suitable external drive. All help welcomed. TIA

Why doesn't the drive like Windows 10? Is it formatted with a file
system W10 can't read? What error message - if any - does W10 give?
Does the disk work on other machines? What is its interface? USB?

I haven't used Windows of any flavour for about three years, but when
I did I used EaseUS Todo backup. Simple, effective, and reliable (and
free).

It fails to recognise the disk, so I am stumped. the supplies software,
which I have tried reloading does not work either. :-((

GIYF but there is loads you can try, depending on how much time you have
to waste. Do you have access to any other Windows PCs? Do you know
anyone with a Mac or a Linux box? You could get yourself a Linux boot
stick for about a tenner from eBay, or download and burn your own. Then
see if they can mount the drive.

If it is a fairly old drive and there is nothing of value on it perhaps
it is simplest to throw it away and buy something else.