Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default World's Worst Soldering!

On 2018/10/08 10:13 AM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 08:26:24 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

Perhaps it was a return from a customer who had a problem, then tried to
fix it - botched it up, then sent it back to Amazon for a refund. The
seller didn't bother to test or it simply was repacked in the Amazon
warehouse for reshipment.

My take? ...and I've seen such crappy "rework" in
never-been-opened-since-the-factory communist chinese
junk before. It's post-test fail rework done in the
factory -- by the lowest skilled folks on the totem pole.
"Get it working just Good Enough to ship it."

Jonesy

Well, can't say I would argue with you.

Bought a LCD from Amazon, and while the monitor works fine the brick on
a rope was bloody dangerous! The brick has no markings about approvals,
so it went to recycling, and the power cord - that was a piece of work
- a two prong (unapproved of course) plug on a two conductor line cord
(no approval of course) ending with a computer style 3-prong plug for
the brick (...).

The crap they are shipping will kill people.

Back in the late 40s and early 50s TVs in the USA would catch fire
regularly. So the US Gov. gave UL some teeth and that stopped happening.
Here in Canada CSA was already regulating electrical appliances (had
been for years) and as I understand it there were few if any house fires
caused by crappy manufacturing shortcuts.

The only real solution is international co-operation and standards that
has to come to bear on all products as the general public has no idea
about electrical/fire/food safety. I suspect a lot of children and
adults have to die first though...

John ;-#(#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com