Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default World's Worst Soldering!

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 11:25:38 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

37/73. True-eutectic solder where RHoS is not an issue.

Anyone who uses 60/40 solder for other than plumbing and direct chassis connections on vintage radios deserves exactly what they get. Full Stop.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

You have it exectally backwards. I doubt if you will ever find any
37/73 solder. For two reasons. Number one is you now have a compound
that is 110 % mix. Sort of impossiable to do. I will allow you a typo
and say you ment 37/63. That would be a mix of 37% tin and 63% lead
going by the normal way of stating the tin content first.

The mix is 63 % tin and 37 % lead for the eutectic mix of solder. Over
the years much solder is sold as 60 % tin and 40 % lead. Close enough
for most electronics and very common.

Yep - sorry. 37/63 lead-to-tin. Early AM post, and not quite awake.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA