Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin[_4_] John Larkin[_4_] is offline

Default World's Worst Soldering!

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:33:49 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

On 10/07/2018 09:08 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Not even close. I hold that honor. Long ago I soldered a 25-pin RS232
cable. The blobs were so big I couldn't get the housings on. I didn't
think any of the pins were shorted, but I wasn't positive. I brought
the cable along when we visited a friend with hardware skills. While we
were talking he casually unsoldered my botched job and resoldered it
nicely. I probably never soldered again :-(

My uncle Sheldon had a TV repair shop and used to babysit me, but he
couldn't solder because he always had a beer in one hand and a
cigarette in the other. So I sat in his lap and soldered for him,
starting about the age of 3.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics