Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default World's Worst Soldering!

Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 17:08:38 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

photos not too clear, but looks like you need to be applying more solder. If there's black muck involved, clean the joint better.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 09:35:55 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

photos not too clear, but looks like you need to be applying more
solder. If there's black muck involved, clean the joint better.

mebe theres something wrong wiht your browser as they show up v. clear
indeed on my monitor at any rate. outstandingly clear in fact i would say.
rotten soldering!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 16:08:34 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...posted-public/
As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

There may be hope for you yet:

1. How many watts is your soldering iron? It looks like the mess
made by too low power or too fine a tip. 75 watt seems about right.

2. Is the soldering iron temperature controlled? If yes, raise the
temperature and work fast. Mine runs at 750F (400C) for 60/40
lead-tin. If no, go shopping and buy a decent adjustable temperature
controlled soldering station. Get a fine tip for fine work, and a
thicker tip for the big stuff (so that the tip doesn't go cold as soon
as you touch the work).

3. Are those 3300uF 25V caps 85C caps or 105C? The photo looks like
85C. If so, they'll last about 6 months inside a hot oscilloscope.

4. Clean the enamel off the wires with sandpaper before you solder.
Tin the wire ends before attaching to a lug or PCB rivet.

I've dragged some of the local hams into my palatial office and
demonstrated how easy it is to solder properly with a decent soldering
iron. They're usually amazed at how well THEY can solder using my
equipment. That's when I discover that they're using something from
Radio Shack or that came with their childhood wood burner kit. I just
did a quick scan of what's available on eBay and noticed that they now
have OLED display aftermarket temp controllers for HAKKO soldering
irons. I'm tempted:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=soldering+station+temperature+controll ed
Also, if you don't have a hot air SMD workstation, this might be a
good time to get one because they often include an adjustable
temperature controlled soldering iron.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Really bad.. Im suprised that the diods are still alive after that burn.
Have to be a newly employed that did not get His/her 2hr education
before doing the job

Den 2018-10-07 kl. 18:08, skrev Cursitor Doom:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 17:41:44 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 09:35:55 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

photos not too clear, but looks like you need to be applying more
solder. If there's black muck involved, clean the joint better.

mebe theres something wrong wiht your browser as they show up v. clear
indeed on my monitor at any rate. outstandingly clear in fact i would say.
rotten soldering!

Turns out you're right, the test card shows the grey scale is a mess. Settings can't fix it. Ah well...

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's also fair to say that even with a right piece of junk one can solder properly if you have the skill. In a drawer somewhere I have a 1950s Solon where the tip hangs loosely, but it still solders ok.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
No Name

Cursitor Doom

Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

Cool

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

Now that is an interesting bridge rectifier.

Here a raspberry replacing a big chip:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/raspb...ver/index.html
That thing has been working all day now since Dec 2013 without a glitch.
http://panteltje.com/pub/matrix_disp...m_IMG_6609.JPG
Nothing to worry about.

Even older, 1985 or so, still works:
http://panteltje.com/pub/8052AH_BASI...g_img_1756.jpg

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Na, it is OK.

I sort of like soldering, but only 60/40, maybe it is the lead ...

:-)
http://panteltje.com/pub/z80/graphics_card_top.jpg
http://panteltje.com/pub/z80/graphics_card_bottom.jpg
have many boards like that....

Scroll down can you find the SMDs on the board?
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/raspb...s_transmitter/
that is some Giggle Hz stuff too.
It is still working, in fact added some stuff.

Soldering is simple.

You need a good temperature controlled soldering iron,
some solder wick, some 60/40, and there you go.
I count to 14 at 320 C for it to flow ... around pins.

:-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...posted-public/
As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

There may be hope for you yet:

1. How many watts is your soldering iron? It looks like the mess
made by too low power or too fine a tip. 75 watt seems about right.

2. Is the soldering iron temperature controlled? If yes, raise the
temperature and work fast. Mine runs at 750F (400C) for 60/40
lead-tin. If no, go shopping and buy a decent adjustable temperature
controlled soldering station. Get a fine tip for fine work, and a
thicker tip for the big stuff (so that the tip doesn't go cold as soon
as you touch the work).

A good soldering station and good hand tools (eg. - strong needle nosed
pliers, shard edge clippers) are indispensable for repairing equipment
properly.

3. Are those 3300uF 25V caps 85C caps or 105C? The photo looks like
85C. If so, they'll last about 6 months inside a hot oscilloscope.

I spotted what looks like "10..." curling over the edge on the edge of
one of the caps, so he is at least using 105C caps. The caps should be
secured though.

4. Clean the enamel off the wires with sandpaper before you solder.

Sandpaper may be too aggressive if a rough grit, that can introduce
scratches to the copper leaking to the potential for breakage. I suggest
using something more like wet/dry emery cloth of about 1000 grit - true,
it is another sandpaper, but less likely to scratch.

Tin the wire ends before attaching to a lug or PCB rivet.

The invented bridge rectifier was poorly made for the space allowed, and
those bridge modules are readily available. If you need to make a bridge
module wrap the leads at least one loop around the others for a
mechanical junction prior to soldering. Then there less risk of a solder
joint breaking and introducing random loose parts into your equipment...

I've dragged some of the local hams into my palatial office and
demonstrated how easy it is to solder properly with a decent soldering
iron. They're usually amazed at how well THEY can solder using my
equipment. That's when I discover that they're using something from
Radio Shack or that came with their childhood wood burner kit. I just
did a quick scan of what's available on eBay and noticed that they now
have OLED display aftermarket temp controllers for HAKKO soldering
irons. I'm tempted:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=soldering+station+temperature+controll ed

This looks handy - so I've ordered a couple for the shop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352464262209

Nice to be able to check calibrations by comparison.

Also, if you don't have a hot air SMD workstation, this might be a
good time to get one because they often include an adjustable
temperature controlled soldering iron.

John :-#)#
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 19:58:49 UTC+1, John Robertson wrote:

The invented bridge rectifier was poorly made for the space allowed, and
those bridge modules are readily available. If you need to make a bridge
module wrap the leads at least one loop around the others for a
mechanical junction prior to soldering. Then there less risk of a solder
joint breaking and introducing random loose parts into your equipment...

People often overestimate the strength of solder - it's close to zero. Always make some sort of mechanical bond first, or reliability will not be yours.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 10:36:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

There may be hope for you yet:

Unfortunately not!

1. How many watts is your soldering iron? It looks like the mess made
by too low power or too fine a tip. 75 watt seems about right.

I have 15W, 25W, 40W and 80W irons. This atrocity was carried out with
the 15W one which has a pointed tip for some reason.

2. Is the soldering iron temperature controlled? If yes, raise the
temperature and work fast. Mine runs at 750F (400C) for 60/40 lead-tin.
If no, go shopping and buy a decent adjustable temperature controlled
soldering station. Get a fine tip for fine work, and a thicker tip for
the big stuff (so that the tip doesn't go cold as soon as you touch the
work).

You're very kind in attributing this train wreck of a repair to my having
the wrong tools, Jeff. Sadly I don't believe it's the case. This kind of
work requires a steady hand and a keen eye and I possess neither.

3. Are those 3300uF 25V caps 85C caps or 105C? The photo looks like
85C. If so, they'll last about 6 months inside a hot oscilloscope.

I followed the original spec as far as possible. The originals were
5500uF, 30VDC and 85C. I couldn't get the right capacitance within the
space available so used 33's in parallel. The old 85C's lasted for
decades so your 6 month assessment may be a bit pessimistic.

4. Clean the enamel off the wires with sandpaper before you solder.
Tin the wire ends before attaching to a lug or PCB rivet.

Yes, I did do that. I know what I *should* do but it doesn't help.

Also, if you don't have a hot air SMD workstation, this might be a good
time to get one because they often include an adjustable temperature
controlled soldering iron.

Can you imagine the carnage I'd leave behind attempting SMD stuff?? :-D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I scrape magnet wire with an x-acto knife. That leaves a shiny surface
that wets nicely. I think the professional wire strippers use rotating
knives.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27px827y9e...nned.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcbo3i2kro...B_L1.jpg?raw=1

A serious high-power, controlled temp iron is basic to good soldering.
I like my Metcal.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 21:06:43 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

15w is way too low power for what you're doing there. 25w & 40w are the ones to be using. 15w is better for smd work, hence the pointed tip.

You'll learn. We'll give you a hard time till you do.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
No Name

John Larkin wrote
I scrape magnet wire with an x-acto knife. That leaves a shiny surface
that wets nicely. I think the professional wire strippers use rotating
knives.

I just select 375 °C as soldering temperature,
that burns the magnet wire insulation,
and then you can just tin it.
Scraping damages the wire.
But watch out for the terrible possible toxic smell.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I have a brush that uses fiberglass. Cleans quickly, bends a bit to get
the rounding needed, and doesn't run any risk of nicking the wire.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191126624992

Also polishes edge connections, etc. a very useful tool.

A serious high-power, controlled temp iron is basic to good soldering.
I like my Metcal.

For regular board work I like my Weller stations with the magnetic temp
controlled tips, I mostly use the #7 medium or thin screwdriver tip.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 1:36:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
John Larkin wrote
I scrape magnet wire with an x-acto knife. That leaves a shiny surface
that wets nicely. I think the professional wire strippers use rotating
knives.

I just select 375 °C as soldering temperature,
that burns the magnet wire insulation,
and then you can just tin it.
Scraping damages the wire.
But watch out for the terrible possible toxic smell.

I use a match to burn off the insulation. Sand paper also works without nicking the wire. I think I saw some kind of chemical stripper in the electronics catalogs, but I never tried those.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 20:36:00 GMT,
wrote:

John Larkin wrote
I scrape magnet wire with an x-acto knife. That leaves a shiny surface
that wets nicely. I think the professional wire strippers use rotating
knives.

I just select 375 °C as soldering temperature,
that burns the magnet wire insulation,
and then you can just tin it.

Beldsol and some similar wires are meant to be thermally stripped.

Scraping damages the wire.

Not #14!

But watch out for the terrible possible toxic smell.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote in news
You need a good temperature controlled soldering iron,
some solder wick, some 60/40, and there you go.
I count to 14 at 320 C for it to flow ... around pins.

60/40 is for plumbing.

The electronics industry settled on and proved to be the best 63/37 and
for decades it was. This RoHS **** is the worst thing the world ever did.
Metallic form lead is not dangerous to the environment.

If it were, there would be huge lead levels around all the damned police
shooting ranges in the nation. There is not.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 10/07/2018 12:08 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Eh. This was the soldering job in a commercially-sold SMPS bench power
supply from an Amazon.com reseller, IIRC, this was how it looked when it
left the mfgr, I took this photo immediately after opening the enclosure
and pulling the PCB (it had stopped working! can you believe it)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65km6pbq8wzch54/IMG_20171005_104357775.jpg?dl=0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

4. Clean the enamel off the wires with sandpaper before you solder.

Sandpaper may be too aggressive if a rough grit, that can introduce
scratches to the copper leaking to the potential for breakage. I suggest
using something more like wet/dry emery cloth of about 1000 grit - true,
it is another sandpaper, but less likely to scratch.

I'm using 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper for removing enamel. No reason
other than it seems to last longer than the finer grits and I have a
fair number of sheets. For very thin magnet wire or litz wire, I use
finer sandpaper. If I want to scrape off the insulation, I use a
moderately dull edge kitchen knife that won't cut or gouge the copper
wire. If I try to solder magnet wire that still has some coating on
the wire and was not tinned, I get a black carbonized blobs, like in
the photo.

This looks handy - so I've ordered a couple for the shop:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352464262209
Nice to be able to check calibrations by comparison.

I have one of those. It's a counterfeit clone and is not made by
Hakko. This is what the real FG-100 looks like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hakko-FG100-02-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Fg-100-US-Authorized-Dealer/361688237097
Note the price. I haven't bothered to verify the calibration on mine,
but it seems to indicate what I would expect.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2018-10-07, Cursitor Doom wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

Eek! I'd like to see some insulator other than air between the AC
nodes of that bridge rectifier, it doesn't look like the gap is very
much at all.

--
Notsodium is mined on the banks of denial.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:36:29 -0400, bitrex wrote:

[...]

This is pretty bad. The box doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cja04ohlsw...lenco.zip?dl=0

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 20:06:40 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 10:36:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
1. How many watts is your soldering iron? It looks like the mess made
by too low power or too fine a tip. 75 watt seems about right.

I have 15W, 25W, 40W and 80W irons. This atrocity was carried out with
the 15W one which has a pointed tip for some reason.

There's your problem. 15 watts is far too small for the heavy gauge
wire you're using. The pointed tip is too small to retain enough heat
to solder some of the larger parts in your photos. You also didn't
bother to disclose whether you're using a temperature controlled
soldering iron or a crappy wood burner. I'll guess(tm) a wood burner,
probably with unplated rusted iron tips that can't be cleaned, wetted,
or tinned.

If my guess(tm) is correct, you don't have a prayer making a decent
solder connection even with a keen hand and a steady eye. The trick
to soldering is to use decent equipment, a clean tinned tip, and the
correct temperature. Use a hot tip set to the temperature for the
type of solder you're using. Get the work hot quickly, solder
quickly, and remove the iron as soon as possible. If you use a stone
cold 15 watt iron, you'll end up lingering on the joint for far too
long, which will dramatically increase the size of the heat affected
zone, which will likely burn the PCB, vaporize the flux before it's
needed, and possibly run some parts. By fast, I mean something like 1
second or less.

You're very kind in attributing this train wreck of a repair to my having
the wrong tools, Jeff. Sadly I don't believe it's the case. This kind of
work requires a steady hand and a keen eye and I possess neither.

A friend of mine lived long enough to get Parkinsons Disease. Near
the end, his hands shook bad enough that soldering was impossible.
However, before that, they were steady enough to hold the iron, but
not the work (wire and components). So, he build a fixture with an
articulated battery terminal clamp to hold the joint together while he
soldered it. For the soldering iron, he build something similar that
only required that he leaned on the iron to push it into the
connection. The process wasn't graceful, but it worked.

If you have vision problems, get a proper magnifier or microscope. My
eyesight is becoming bad enough that I need to use a microscope for
SMD work, and a magnifier for ordinary work. Good lighting also
helps. My soldering would look as bad as yours if I didn't have these
aids.

If you're not sure that decent soldering equipment will improve your
miserable soldering, then borrow someone's decent equipment and try it
for a day or three. If it's hopeless, look into the possibilities of
using a soldering robot:
https://www.google.com/search?q=soldering+robot&tbm=isch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMnk7maUVs (1:33)

3. Are those 3300uF 25V caps 85C caps or 105C? The photo looks like
85C. If so, they'll last about 6 months inside a hot oscilloscope.

I followed the original spec as far as possible. The originals were
5500uF, 30VDC and 85C. I couldn't get the right capacitance within the
space available so used 33's in parallel. The old 85C's lasted for
decades so your 6 month assessment may be a bit pessimistic.

I had problems finding can type electrolytics so I used axial leaded
electrolytics as a substitute. They fit inside the old can, so I just
ripped out the guts from the defective capacitor and crammed the axial
caps inside. I used 85C caps which lasted about 6 months. I replace
them with 105C caps and they've been running for about 2 years.

4. Clean the enamel off the wires with sandpaper before you solder.
Tin the wire ends before attaching to a lug or PCB rivet.

Yes, I did do that. I know what I *should* do but it doesn't help.

If you know it's not going to work, why bother doing it? You're not
going to get a decent solder connection if it's covered with melted or
burnt insulation, no matter how nice your tools or technique. A
decent solder connection requires that ALL the parts of the puzzle are
clean before you apply heat and solder. Do it.

Also, if you don't have a hot air SMD workstation, this might be a good
time to get one because they often include an adjustable temperature
controlled soldering iron.

Can you imagine the carnage I'd leave behind attempting SMD stuff?? :-D

It takes a bit of practice, but once you understand how it works, it's
quite easy. Soldering SMD devices with solder paste is easy because
the part self-aligns itself on the pads once the solder melts. There
are plenty of videos on YouTube showing various ways to use a hot air
SMT desoldering station. Instead of declaring defeat and surrendering
before you start, watch a few and decide if you can handle it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 10/07/2018 10:34 PM, John Larkin wrote:
[...]

Haha, I actually saw a small pile of those on the shelf at the local
(well, only) brick and mortar components retailer in the Boston area, on
sale for $8 each in kit form.

I think I'll pick one up next time I don't think I've ever owned a
capacitor substitution box before, or really needed one (it's easy to
substitute capacitors in Spice) but might come in handy someday, and I
mostly trust my own soldering. Maybe I'll splurge on some better quality
through-hole caps for it than those ceramic disk....things
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

60/40 is for plumbing.

** You are thinking of " 40/ 60 " solder that is used by plumbers.

60/40 is ( or was) standard electronics solder.

the electronics industry settled on and proved to be the best 63/37 and
for decades it was.
This RoHS **** is the worst thing the world ever did.

** Hate the stuff !!!!

To rework a PCB you HAVE to clean ALL of it off before applying 60/460 or 63/37.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:58:01 -0400, bitrex wrote:

[...]

I also have their resistance box, which is very good!

I tossed the cap box.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I have terrible eyesight, so I got a used Mantis microscope thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp88o2rqgr...tis2.JPG?raw=1

I steady my hand on a table or something when I solder, especially
super fine pitch surface-mount parts. The Metcal iron really, really
helps.

You're fine, you're just using cruddy tools.

For really small surface mount stuff, I use a big wedge tip and slop
solder on all the pins, shorting everything, then wick it.

A q-tip and acetone cleans things up pretty.

3. Are those 3300uF 25V caps 85C caps or 105C? The photo looks like
85C. If so, they'll last about 6 months inside a hot oscilloscope.

I followed the original spec as far as possible. The originals were
5500uF, 30VDC and 85C. I couldn't get the right capacitance within the
space available so used 33's in parallel. The old 85C's lasted for
decades so your 6 month assessment may be a bit pessimistic.

4. Clean the enamel off the wires with sandpaper before you solder.
Tin the wire ends before attaching to a lug or PCB rivet.

Yes, I did do that. I know what I *should* do but it doesn't help.

Also, if you don't have a hot air SMD workstation, this might be a good
time to get one because they often include an adjustable temperature
controlled soldering iron.

Can you imagine the carnage I'd leave behind attempting SMD stuff?? :-D

I was afraid of 1206 parts when they first arrived. Now a US8 creates
only mild anxiety. 0805's look gigantic.

Desoldering is trickier than soldering surface mount parts. The part
is a goner, but you don't want to damage the board. My production
people are brilliant, so I let them do the hard ones.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 10/07/2018 09:08 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Not even close. I hold that honor. Long ago I soldered a 25-pin RS232
cable. The blobs were so big I couldn't get the housings on. I didn't
think any of the pins were shorted, but I wasn't positive. I brought
the cable along when we visited a friend with hardware skills. While we
were talking he casually unsoldered my botched job and resoldered it
nicely. I probably never soldered again :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
When you stop bitching you start dying.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2018/10/07 7:34 PM, John Larkin wrote:
[...]

You bought that NEW? Or was it second/third/fifth hand?

It looks like an idiot tried to modify it. I have trouble imagining a
legitimate company letting something that hacked out for sale.

John :-#(#
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Denatured alcohol is my go-to PCB cleaning fluid now, acetone is a
better solvent but seems to also aggressively maul a lot of different
plastics and resins as well.

I absent-mindedly poured a bit in a Styrofoam cup one day, the bottom
instantly disintegrates into goop, fun times

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
No Name

John Larkin wrote
This is pretty bad. The box doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cja04ohlsw...lenco.zip?dl=0

Strange, in
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cja04ohlsw...o_CS-440_5.JPG
I see a position marked as R5 with a capacitor in it...
Maybe they use the same board for resistor bank and capacitor bank?

It is a good argument (the other pics) to use flexible wires from switches etc to the PCB,
not use PCB mounted / soldered user controls.
After some switch rotations the solder joints will make bad contact.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:53:10 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

[...]

New, from Amazon. It arrived that way. I opened it because it didn't
work right.

It looks like an idiot tried to modify it. I have trouble imagining a
legitimate company letting something that hacked out for sale.

It's Chinese.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:33:49 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

[...]

My uncle Sheldon had a TV repair shop and used to babysit me, but he
couldn't solder because he always had a beer in one hand and a
cigarette in the other. So I sat in his lap and soldered for him,
starting about the age of 3.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Some professional soldering people do that far worse.

The only problem for me in a possible shortcut between the two
connections of the rectyfier bridge, an insulation pipe should be welcomed.
It surely is the mains rectyfier, so a high voltage that could spike.

Cursitor Doom a écritÂ*:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2018-10-07, Cursitor Doom wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

Eek! I'd like to see some insulator other than air between the AC nodes
of that bridge rectifier, it doesn't look like the gap is very much at
all.

You can't see it properly from that angle which I admit looks alarming.
If you could view it in 3D, you'd see there's plenty of clearance between
those leads and they're very rigid, plus this is the low voltage/high
current one and the applied voltage from the mains transformer across
that secondary winding is only around 3.3V.
I admit it's ugly, but it does the job fine and should last much longer
than the failed monolithic bridge it replaces.