Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin[_4_] John Larkin[_4_] is offline

Default World's Worst Soldering!

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:58:01 -0400, bitrex wrote:

On 10/07/2018 10:34 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:36:29 -0400, bitrex wrote:

On 10/07/2018 12:08 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I just fixed up this classic Tek 466 scope I've been meaning to get
around to sorting out for the last few years. As you can see, my
soldering is atrocious. I've been soldering this type of circuitry for 50
years and never got any better at it in all that time. When it comes to
soldering and part-placement, I suck donkey dick!
Check it out and enjoy at my expense:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

and...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128859...in/dateposted-
public/

As you can see, the "world's worst" tag was no exaggeration!

Eh. This was the soldering job in a commercially-sold SMPS bench power
supply from an Amazon.com reseller, IIRC, this was how it looked when it
left the mfgr, I took this photo immediately after opening the enclosure
and pulling the PCB (it had stopped working! can you believe it)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65km6pbq8wzch54/IMG_20171005_104357775.jpg?dl=0

This is pretty bad. The box doesn't work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cja04ohlsw...lenco.zip?dl=0

Haha, I actually saw a small pile of those on the shelf at the local
(well, only) brick and mortar components retailer in the Boston area, on
sale for $8 each in kit form.

I think I'll pick one up next time I don't think I've ever owned a
capacitor substitution box before, or really needed one (it's easy to
substitute capacitors in Spice) but might come in handy someday, and I
mostly trust my own soldering. Maybe I'll splurge on some better quality
through-hole caps for it than those ceramic disk....things

I also have their resistance box, which is very good!

I tossed the cap box.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics