Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default World's Worst Soldering!

In article ,
says...

60/40 is for plumbing.

The electronics industry settled on and proved to be the best 63/37 and
for decades it was. This RoHS **** is the worst thing the world ever did.
Metallic form lead is not dangerous to the environment.

The standard is for the tin content to be first and then the lead.

The 60/40 is most common for electronic solder, but 63/37 is slightly
better.

The plumbing is often 50/50, or was before the RoHS and lead free stuff
started.

I do agree the solders other than the tin/lead is very bad and hard to
work with. As I just do it for a hobby and in the US, anything I do is
with the tin/lead. If the area of a board I am working on has the RoHS
type solder on it, I remove it from the part I am working on.

It is going to be interisting to see if the devices have the 'tin
whisker' problem that high tin no lead content solder can have in a few
years.