Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Wheelie bin liners

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 01:11:53 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 13:02:26 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

alan_m presented the following explanation :
Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by not
using plastic bags?

She insists on plastic bags, so this at least makes the bags last a few
emptyings.

I have a swing-top bin for dry household rubbish that's not
recyclable, and a pedal bin for putrefiable kitchen waste. Both get
lined with appropriately sized bin-liners, and when the bin-man comes
round, it's just a matter of tying them up and putting them in the
wheelie bin. No need for a wheelie bin liner as such, as the rubbish
is already bagged.

It also makes it easier for said bin-man to empty, as they don't have
to waste time loading the wheelie bin onto the tipper mechanism and
emptying it into the back of the garbage truck; they just grab the
bags out of the wheelie bin and throw them in; much quicker.

Are you lot still in the stone age? Our lot do not touch the bin it is
all mechanical.

In which case I assume your bins must be put out close to exactly the
right places for the 'grab' to be manoeuvered to pick it up. Flipping
open the bin lid and lifting out one or two bags of rubbish by hand
has to be much quicker than a grab being manoeuvered over the bin, so
more bins can be emptied per man per shift or whatever, and it saves
the ratepayer money.

Except that it is not the case or else we would be still doing it.