Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wheelie bin liners

Why don't they make the liner just a few inches longer, so they can
touch the bottom and leave some over lap at the top?

I modified ours, with a cord around the top edge lip of the bin, using
a spring to pull the cord tight - as a means to try to grip and retain
the liner and hold them open. As soon as you get any weight in the
bottom it is dragged down and out.

My latest fix, is to put five layers of 1" thick expanded polystyrene
covering the bottom of the bin, with a sheet of thin alloy on top, all
retained in the bin base via threaded rods bolted through to the base.
It needed to be light, to survive the mechanical emptying process and
rot proof. So far, it seems to have solved the liner issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 12:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Why don't they make the liner just a few inches longer, so they can
touch the bottom and leave some over lap at the top?

Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by
not using plastic bags?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m presented the following explanation :
Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by not
using plastic bags?

She insists on plastic bags, so this at least makes the bags last a few
emptyings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
alan_m presented the following explanation :
Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by not
using plastic bags?

She insists on plastic bags, so this at least makes the bags last a few
emptyings.

There's your answer then ;-)
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 13:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
alan_m presented the following explanation :
Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by
not using plastic bags?

She insists on plastic bags, so this at least makes the bags last a few
emptyings.

I don't understand. Why not empty directly into the bin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg presented the following explanation :
I have a swing-top bin for dry household rubbish that's not
recyclable, and a pedal bin for putrefiable kitchen waste. Both get
lined with appropriately sized bin-liners, and when the bin-man comes
round, it's just a matter of tying them up and putting them in the
wheelie bin. No need for a wheelie bin liner as such, as the rubbish
is already bagged.

It also makes it easier for said bin-man to empty, as they don't have
to waste time loading the wheelie bin onto the tipper mechanism and
emptying it into the back of the garbage truck; they just grab the
bags out of the wheelie bin and throw them in; much quicker.

Ours are all (three types) machine emptied. The general bin has a mixed
contents some quite messing and sticky. So, many around here use
liners, so the bin interiors remains a bit cleaner. It avoid having to
regularly clean the bin out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 13:02:26 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

Are you lot still in the stone age? Our lot do not touch the bin it is
all mechanical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 14:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

snip

It avoid having to regularly clean the bin out.

Why do you clean the bin out?

Seriously, I have better things to do!

The purpose of the lid is so you don't have to look inside!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz has brought this to us :
Are you lot still in the stone age? Our lot do not touch the bin it is all
mechanical.

It would seem so, the mechanical system was the whole point of wheelie
bins. We just wheel the appropriate bin down to the end of the drive,
on the appropriate day. It then takes them just a couple of seconds to
hook it onto the wagons lift and return it empty. No need to handle or
lift anything anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 15:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
FMurtz has brought this to us :
Are you lot still in the stone age? Our lot do not touch the bin it is
all mechanical.

It would seem so, the mechanical system was the whole point of wheelie
bins. We just wheel the appropriate bin down to the end of the drive, on
the appropriate day. It then takes them just a couple of seconds to hook
it onto the wagons lift and return it empty. No need to handle or lift
anything anymore.

The mechanical arms seem to take an age to empty the bins and put them
back down again. I'm sure it was quicker for bags to be simply thrown in!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx laid this down on his screen :
Why do you clean the bin out?

Seriously, I have better things to do!

The purpose of the lid is so you don't have to look inside!

For the same reason many around here pay someone to follow the truck
and pressure wash their bins, then add a liner - so it doesn't stink.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 12:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Why don't they make the liner just a few inches longer, so they can
touch the bottom and leave some over lap at the top?

I modified ours, with a cord around the top edge lip of the bin, using a
spring to pull the cord tight - as a means to try to grip and retain the
liner and hold them open. As soon as you get any weight in the bottom it
is dragged down and out.

My latest fix, is to put five layers of 1" thick expanded polystyrene
covering the bottom of the bin, with a sheet of thin alloy on top, all
retained in the bin base via threaded rods bolted through to the base.
It needed to be light, to survive the mechanical emptying process and
rot proof.* So far, it seems to have solved the liner issue.

That is a darn good idea.

We don't have 'general' wheelie bins (at least not yet) but we are
encourage to put food waste into the garden waste bin. We buy special
compostable bags and have a special bin in the kitchen but still worry
about stray leaks etc. (They don't mind 'black bags' for green waste- I
don't know how they cope with them down the line.)

Other 'recycling', at least at the door step, is rather limited high.
They don't even collect glass.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 15:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Fredxx laid this down on his screen :
Why do you clean the bin out?

Seriously, I have better things to do!

The purpose of the lid is so you don't have to look inside!

For the same reason many around here pay someone to follow the truck and
pressure wash their bins, then add a liner - so it doesn't stink.

My bin stays outside, and my lid is sufficient to keep the smells in and
flies out. Perhaps yours is different?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/18 13:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
alan_m presented the following explanation :
Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by
not using plastic bags?

She insists on plastic bags, so this at least makes the bags last a few
emptyings.

We use carrier bags as bin liners indoors - then tie these off and chuck
then loose in the wheelie bin. Works well, they tend to pack down into
the gaps better than say a big biner load and keep the wheelie bin
reasonably clean of scunge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 15:28:36 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Fredxx laid this down on his screen :
Why do you clean the bin out?

Seriously, I have better things to do!

The purpose of the lid is so you don't have to look inside!

For the same reason many around here pay someone to follow the truck and
pressure wash their bins, then add a liner - so it doesn't stink.

We have a son who is enthusiastic about his pressure washer, so we take
advantage of that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg expressed precisely :
In which case I assume your bins must be put out close to exactly the
right places for the 'grab' to be manoeuvered to pick it up.

They don't maneuver the grab. The truck drives along the street and
stops at each four houses, the guys grab a couple of bins from each
side, drag them to the rear, where they are picked up tipped into the
back and dropped back down. Where upon the guys drag them back to the
kirb. Any heavy repetitive lifting these days, is frowned upon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay laid this down on his screen :
We don't have 'general' wheelie bins (at least not yet) but we are encourage
to put food waste into the garden waste bin. We buy special compostable bags
and have a special bin in the kitchen but still worry about stray leaks etc.
(They don't mind 'black bags' for green waste- I don't know how they cope
with them down the line.)

We have the black general waste, brown one for grass/cuttings only,
then a brown one for paper; card; recyclable plastics. So the black is
used for glass, food waste, vacuum contents; kitchen waste and anything
which is contaminated. Some of that from the kitchen, is already
pre-bagged in old carriers, or charity bags of which we gets several
delivered per week. Any actual charity items, we deliver to the shops,
I don't trust the collectors to be genuine, unless I have made
collection arrangements with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :
Well, yes, that's what would happen here if the bin had a lot of stuff
in it, whether in bags or loose, but just for one or two bags it's
quicker just to pick them out by hand.

I appreciate you are not suggesting it, but around here they will not
collect anything other than the contents of the bin. No bags left at
the kerb side, they even leave bins when there is too much in them to
be able to close the lid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
FMurtz has brought this to us :
Are you lot still in the stone age? Our lot do not touch the bin it is
all mechanical.

It would seem so, the mechanical system was the whole point of wheelie
bins. We just wheel the appropriate bin down to the end of the drive, on
the appropriate day. It then takes them just a couple of seconds to hook
it onto the wagons lift and return it empty. No need to handle or lift
anything anymore.

No one hooks ours, its all done by the single individual
driving the truck, without ever getting out of his seat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 07/10/2018 15:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
FMurtz has brought this to us :
Are you lot still in the stone age? Our lot do not touch the bin it is
all mechanical.

It would seem so, the mechanical system was the whole point of wheelie
bins. We just wheel the appropriate bin down to the end of the drive, on
the appropriate day. It then takes them just a couple of seconds to hook
it onto the wagons lift and return it empty. No need to handle or lift
anything anymore.

The mechanical arms seem to take an age to empty the bins and put them
back down again.

Ours don't.

I'm sure it was quicker for bags to be simply thrown in!

Wrong, particularly with such deep bins. And there has
to be someone else running around doing that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

The only thing it cares about is being the right way around, with the handle
away from the kerb and the opening side of the lid towards the kerb.

Flipping
open the bin lid and lifting out one or two bags of rubbish by hand
has to be much quicker than a grab being manoeuvered over the bin, so
more bins can be emptied per man per shift or whatever, and it saves
the ratepayer money.

Not when you have to have people running around outside the truck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/18 16:28, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 15:28:36 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Fredxx laid this down on his screen :
Why do you clean the bin out?

Seriously, I have better things to do!

The purpose of the lid is so you don't have to look inside!

For the same reason many around here pay someone to follow the truck and
pressure wash their bins, then add a liner - so it doesn't stink.

We have a son who is enthusiastic about his pressure washer, so we take
advantage of that!

We used to have a bloke who made a business of occasional, or regular
bin washes (pressure washer loaded with disinfectant).

It was useful with nappies, especially in summer as they stank and were
full of maggots after 2 weeks.

Less so now - my bin has not been washed out for ages and it's not
clean, but it's OK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Its rather different there with so few houses with a driveway. Far more
cars parked on the road outside the houses so it isnt possible to have
all the wheelie bins at the kerb ready to be picked up by the arm on
the truck and emptied into the truck without anyone outside the truck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 03:28:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The mechanical arms seem to take an age to empty the bins and put them
back down again.

Ours

There's no "ours" for you, you forsaken, psychotic, senile, 85-year-old
Ozzie cretin that gets up every day between 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning
just so he won't miss anything on these groups! tsk

I'm sure it was quicker for bags to be simply thrown in!

Wrong

LOL
--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/18 12:50, alan_m wrote:
On 07/10/2018 12:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Why don't they make the liner just a few inches longer, so they can
touch the bottom and leave some over lap at the top?

Isn't the whole point of wheelie bins that you can save the planet by
not using plastic bags?

No, the whole point is to fill them up with several plastic bags full of
crap

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about the strain on the bin men. You are expecting them to do a non-
routine operation just for you that has not been risk assessed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
On 07/10/2018 15:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Fredxx laid this down on his screen :
Why do you clean the bin out?

Seriously, I have better things to do!

The purpose of the lid is so you don't have to look inside!

For the same reason many around here pay someone to follow the truck
and pressure wash their bins, then add a liner - so it doesn't stink.

My bin stays outside, and my lid is sufficient to keep the smells in
and flies out. Perhaps yours is different?

Ours are just the same and somehow are not very clean inside.

The mechanical handling equipment on the wagons seems to be rather
rough, as all our bins now have cracks in the bottom. In the good old
days I used to be able to test the outboard motors in them, but now they
are too dirty and too leaky to hold enough clean water..
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 16:44:04 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Chris Hogg expressed precisely :
In which case I assume your bins must be put out close to exactly the
right places for the 'grab' to be manoeuvered to pick it up.

They don't maneuver the grab. The truck drives along the street and
stops at each four houses, the guys grab a couple of bins from each
side, drag them to the rear, where they are picked up tipped into the
back and dropped back down. Where upon the guys drag them back to the
kirb. Any heavy repetitive lifting these days, is frowned upon.

Well, yes, that's what would happen here if the bin had a lot of stuff
in it, whether in bags or loose, but just for one or two bags it's
quicker just to pick them out by hand. FMurtz did say that his lot
didn't touch the bins as it was all mechanical. I assumed he meant
that that included dragging the bin from where the householder left it
to the back of the lorry and locating it on the lifting mechanism.

They use a sideloading mechanism.

The truck drives along, the arm comes out, grabs the bin and lifts
it up and tips it into the bin. It's all quite slick. It might
not be any quicker than a couple of guys moving the bins, but
then much reduced labour costs.

This kind of thing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1Ic9UAbaU

Of course it won't be suitable for all roads maybe, if they have
lots of parked cars, but plenty of places aren't full of parked
cars

--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

right places for the 'grab' to be manoeuvered to pick it up. Flipping
open the bin lid and lifting out one or two bags of rubbish by hand
has to be much quicker than a grab being manoeuvered over the bin, so
more bins can be emptied per man per shift or whatever, and it saves
the ratepayer money.

Except that it is not the case or else we would be still doing it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They do not position the bins at the back
All the bins are in a similar place along the road and the lorry is
sufficiently clever to allow for variations.
This system is used in the suburbs with single dwellings.
A different more labour intensive system is used in built up high
density areas with units and flats.
Beat this for speed with your herd of garbos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDMoSwhqkA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

One advantage is that the grab arm puts the bins neatly back in
the place it was left, rather than scattering them
all over the
place like the bin men do
--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Not always, some of our end up flat on the ground.

rather than scattering themall over the
place like the bin men do

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Until the wind blows....
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Hogg expressed precisely :
In which case I assume your bins must be put out close to exactly
the right places for the 'grab' to be manoeuvered to pick it up.

They don't maneuver the grab. The truck drives along the street and
stops at each four houses, the guys grab a couple of bins from each
side, drag them to the rear, where they are picked up tipped into
the back and dropped back down. Where upon the guys drag them back
to the kirb. Any heavy repetitive lifting these days, is frowned
upon.

Well, yes, that's what would happen here if the bin had a lot of
stuff in it, whether in bags or loose, but just for one or two bags
it's quicker just to pick them out by hand. FMurtz did say that his
[...]

Yes, there was a godawful noise at the front of the house the other day,
that I could hear from my workshop. I wasn't dressed for going out, but
SWMBO was sho she investigated. An empty wheelie bin (emptied that day)
was making bumpy progress down the road on its side, and had in fact
ended up in the middle of a side road. She retrieved in and placed it in
our front garde, wedged in full view. That was last week - no one has
claimed it yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Wind isnt a problem with ours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:14:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Until the wind blows....

Wind isnt a problem with ours.

There's no "ours" for you, you abnormal nym-shifting senile Ozzie cretin!
NONE of your neighbours seem even to talk to you!

And 85-year-old trolling like there was no tomorrow! Ah, well, for you there
REALLY might be no tomorrow, you disgusting senile piece of Ozzie ****! LOL

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]