Bern M

Default Replace Functioning Water Heater?

Thanks for the reply. I have a spec sheet from Lowe's on the Whirlpool
water heaters and I notice that that they specify certain models for
high altitude locations. I was wondering if perhaps you needed one of
these models if, in fact, your model was not a 'high altitude' model.
I am currently seriously considering the Lochinvar brand which my plumber
recommends. It has a large magnesium anode rod and a brass drain valve,
but the anode rod is in the water pipe, which I'm not too crazy about.
In any case, good luck with yours.

(Derek Toeppen) wrote in message . com...
(Bern M) wrote in message . com...

I installed a Whirlpool. The Whirlpool is made by American Water
Heater. They have a web page so run a search on the American Water
Heater name.

But, I have to say I am having seconded thoughts about the unit.
My complains maybe common to all water heaters. But until I sort
through them I am a little uncomfortable recommending them.

The two problems are,
1. The unit is degraded 4% per 1K feet in altitude. Thus, at
6500 feet I ended up with a 50 gal unit with 30gal/hr recovery rate
when the unit is specified at 40gal/hr. It maybe all water heaters
do this. Furnances do not.
2. The burner is the noisiest I have ever owned. The low frequency
rumble can be heard every where in the house. This maybe a result of
the new flame control burner laws on the books.

Good luck

Sounds like good advice. Can you tell us what brand of water heater
you ended up buying? I am currently doing some research before replacing
my 9 year old water heater. I agree that from what I have learned so
far it seems that replacing the anode periodically is the best way to
make them last longer. However, I have seen some which makes this
maintenance harder by putting the anode in the pipes. Also, it seems
the magnesium rod is preferable to the aluminum type. I also will
try to get the plumber to install a ball valve (brass) drain to replace
whatever comes on a new one. I have found that the washers on the other
drain valves don't hold up over the years and I have had to screw a
brass cap over the drain to keep it from leaking.

Would be interested in what brand water heater you installed since it
apparently has an anode rod which can be replaced. Thanks.