Bill Renfro

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

Could be a fault in the drive circuits, not the tube.
If it is the tube and Toshiba will not replace it, the tech should be able
to isolate the filiment from ground by using a seperate winding on the
flyback core. Worth a shot before buying a new tv.

Bill
Christian Technology

"Fraser" wrote in message
Hi All,

My 3.5 year old Toshiba 32" widescreen has died, due to a faulty picture
tube. The problem is that now and again the green gun overloads, filling

the
screen with a green zig-zag pattern, then the TV shuts down. The repair

shop
say this is due to a bad design in the picture tube, causing overheating.
This is a well known problem in this tube (Philips) apparently, and this
tube is no longer used in new products.

Now, my question is, can I get Toshiba to provide me with a replacement
picture tube without me having to pay for it? IMHO, the set was very very
expensive when I bought it, and a three and a half year life span is

simply
unacceptable for something like this. Is there any recourse under UK law

do this? I was thinking about going along the usual "fit for purpose" and
"merchantable quality" lines. Does anyone know of any successes/failures

of
people trying to do this?

I've googled around, but couldn't see anything. I swear I read/heard
something about forcing electronics manufacturers to repair out with
warranty, but I can't remember or find the source.

Thanks in advance,

Fraser.