Posted to alt.home.repair
George P George P is offline

Default Propane temporarily switching small tanks for big tanks

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 08:29:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote

They have an extra zero in that 600 lbs above. If this road work is only
for a month or two, he doesn't have to heat a house, limiting usage and his plan
of relying on barbecue size cylinders sounds reasonable for some cooking and
WH.

I have 5% which I think gives me about ~15 gallons of propane.

I ran the math that Ed Pawlowski gave me, after looking at the sticker on
the water tank which is 40 gallons and 37,000 BTU per hour.

40 gallons water x 8.3 pounds per gallon x (120 - 70 degrees) = 16,600 BTU

Checking for how many gallons are used per 40 gallon cycle
16,600 BTU x 1 gallon propane/91,000 BTU ~= 0.2 gallons of propane

Doublechecking for time to fill up that 40 gallon tank
16,600 BTU x 1 hour/37,000 BTU ~= 0.4 hours (which is about right)

If I did the math right that Ed gave me, 15 gallons of propane should last
about 74 full ho****er heater cycles.

15 gallons propane x 1 cycle/0.2 gallons = 75 ho****er heater cycles

Does my math from Ed's numbers look right to you?