Andy Hall

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:23:40 -0500, "Jerry G."
wrote:

Where we are located, we are under similar law to that of the UK. The
warranty has to comply to the purchase agreement contract. TV's without an
extended warranty are sold with a one year contract. You can optionally
purchase more time.

I have no idea what Canada does, but in this respect it is not similar
to the UK. The manufacturer and the retailer can provision whatever
kind of warranty that they like, but it is only a convenience.

If the tube goes one day after the warranty, the manufacture is legally not
obliged to change it, or service the set.

In the UK the retailer may be, and a test of reasonableness,
accounting for the type of goods and the price is considered by the
court if the customer wishes to pursue it.

Retailers and manufacturers do quite well out of customer's ignorance
of the law and a natural British reticence to complain.

I tell people that for the little
more than the cost of the TV set, it is best to buy the extended warranty.

I'll bet.

Servicing a TV set can be expensive.

What a surprise.

The few extra dollars for the extended
warranty can be well worth the investment.

A few extra dollars!? In the UK, extended warranties can be 20-25%
of the new price of a set.

I have heard some people saying that the dealers make a lot of money on
these warranties.

Here they do. The retailers push them like hell to boost their
margins. In reality, all that is achieved is the customer not
having to argue their statutory rights with the retailer. Even then,
there is typically no guaranteed time to repair.

Actually this is not very true. The mark-up on all these
products is not very great.

Yeah, right.

If the set turns out to be a lemon, the
manufacture will end up paying the cost of service, and maybe even the
exchange the set for a new one.

As indeed they should do. However, here that is not the customer's
issue it's the retailer's.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl