Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Propane temporarily switching small tanks for big tanks

On 9/21/2018 7:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 10:34:44 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/19/18 7:40 AM, George P wrote:
What's the procedure?

Seems simple but I could be missing something.
1) Turn off valve to large tank (250 gallons).
2) Open line (wearing gloves & pointing away from face)
3) Connect the small tank (20 gallons) taking care to prevent air entry

Is there more to it from a safety standpoint than that obvious procedure?

There's a guide here to tank sizes:
https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-blog/2016/april/tanks-101-propane-tank-sizes
Would putting the 150 gallon one on a small trailer be a practical
option?

He might run into issues there of regulations regarding the transport
of nat gas and what kind of vehicles and equipment are approved for that.
Bringing home a couple of 20 lb tanks in an SUV I'm pretty sure is legal.
Towing a trailer with a 150 gallon tank of propane down a road that
has a weight limit, where cops are checking and stopping trucks, IDK
about that.

Looks like more than I thought. Have to be upright too
http://blog.texaspropane.com/proper-...ane-cylinders/
The maximum number of propane cylinders that can be transported at one
time is five. For open vehicles, the total combined mass of the propane
and cylinders should not exceed 500 kg. The maximum number of propane
cylinders that can be transported in enclosed vehicles is five, as long
as each individual cylinder weighs a total of less than 30 kg (600 lbs).
Typically, a full barbecue cylinder weights approximately 17 kg (34.5 lbs).