Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Propane temporarily switching small tanks for big tanks

On 9/20/2018 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/20/2018 08:13 AM, George P wrote:
I'm curious if that's your experience that it takes about a half hour of
propane to heat 50 gallons of water from ambient of about, oh, I don't
know, room temperature of 70 degrees or so.

No idea. My hot water heater is electric.

It can be calculated and I may still have the formula. You have to know
the output of the burner and you can figure how long it will burn on a
tank of propane.

Gallon of propane has 91,000 BTU. Water heater is about 30 - 40,000 BTU

A BTU is the energy required to raise a pound of water 1 degree. Gallon
of water is 8.3 pounds. to raise it from 70 to 120 takes 50 x 8.3 x how
many gallons you used.