Posted to alt.home.repair
George P George P is offline

Default Propane temporarily switching small tanks for big tanks

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 23:35:15 -0600, rbowman wrote

Does your propane company have any tanks you can rent for the duration?
I've seen the 100# tanks out in the yard at mine and they aren't new.

Amerigas. They only have big trucks. Really big trucks.
Nowhere near 5K pounds.

They were coming until the cops parked at the weight limit sign.
Apparently it's bad news for their license class to get tickets.

It's not a big deal for most of the residents since they planned ahead.

I didn't realize Lowes sells the small propane tanks.
So that should tide me over.

(I wonder if I can slightly fill the big tank? I'll look for a second
opening because that might be a second method, but I just thought of that
as I was typing so I haven't looked to see if there is a second pipe on the
big tank that I can tap into.)

To save propane I've been turning off the hot water heater every day.
It takes about a half hour to heat up 50 gallons.

I'm curious if that's your experience that it takes about a half hour of
propane to heat 50 gallons of water from ambient of about, oh, I don't
know, room temperature of 70 degrees or so.