Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Computer keyboard and mouse question

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:40:45 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 18 Sep 2018 20:53:27 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 09/18/2018 11:36 AM, micky wrote:

[snip]

mini-DIN. Regular DIN describes the older PC keyboard (and cassette on
the original PCs) connectors.

So what is the difference between mini-DIN and PS/2?

The Wikipedia article at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN_connector shows 7 varieties of
mini-DIN. The one in the middle looks like a PS/2 connector.

BTW, I didn't see that coming. All these years and I don't remember
every learning about mini-DIN, and all I know about DIN is that car
radios come in that size.

DIN is a "standaed" - not a size.

DIN, Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V. (German Institute for
Standardization) develops norms and standards for rationalization,
quality assurance, environmental protection, safety and communication
in industry, technology, science, and government, as well as the
public domain

something like ISO and SAE and ANSI and ASTM combined.