Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Computer keyboard and mouse question

On 09/18/2018 09:02 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 09/17/2018 09:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

Old mobos have to go someplace...

in 1998 I didn't think that "Y2K compatible" would ever mean it's old.

One of my projects in '99 was cleaning up legacy code in preparation for
Y2K. Some programmers apparently didn't think we'd make it to 2000. They
were the same people who used signed shorts to save a couple of bytes in
key data structures. Who would ever need more than 32,737 of anything?

2000 was the beginning of the end of AIX for us. iirc AIX 4.1 was y2k
compliant but wouldn't run on older RS6000 servers. Sites looked at the
price of new IBM hardware and Windows Server started looked very good to
them.

I was on call on Dec 31 and went to the local First Night functions.
When the Ed Norton Big Band struck up auld lang Syne in the University
Ballroom and the lights didn't go out I figured I might as well go home
and go to bed.