Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Computer keyboard and mouse question

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:02:51 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:00:42 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...
Could you always boot from a USB drive? My BIOS didn't have that
option.
Most of todays computers no longer use a "bios"

That has still become the buzz word for the firmware that turns a
bunch of random chips into a computer.

If not, what takes the place of the BIOS ? Maybe something like it by a
different name ? The Microsoft type computers I know of need something
in the hardware/firmware to tell the processor how to start up the hard
drive to load an operating system of some sort and where the video and
key board/mouse is.

I use UEFI on my latest PC, although the MB supports legacy BIOS too.
UEFI has advantages. But AFAIK I haven't used them.

"Legacy BIOS" is in "emulation mode"