RB

Default Replace Functioning Water Heater?

The important thing is to check your anode rod after about a year and
see if it needs replacement. If so replace it. If it will go two years
then replace it then. This will extend the life of your water heater
more than anything else you can do. When you shut it down to check the
anode drain out the crud in the bottom of the water heater also.

RB

Steve wrote:
In article ,
BobS wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:15:59 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Steve wrote:

It just so happens that Lowes has a $99 install for hot water heaters,
after rebate, and this deal ends on Jan 18th. I just came from my
local
Home Depot in NJ, and they get $250 for a gas wh install.

Thanks so much for posting. With the stuck valve and 10+/- years of the
water heater's life while we have lived here, I'm getting quite concerned
for its long-term health. I really don't want to come home to water running
out the garage. Replacement (especially at sale price g) is starting to
make more and more sense.

-- Mark

To get the $99 install you must purchase a 9, 12 or lifetime heater.
Any opinions on the Whirlpool line of heaters? The 9 year Whirlpool
is going for $278.

Thanks...Bob

I just arranged to have the 9 year gas 40 gallon Whirlpool hot water
heater installed early next week, so I could get that $99 install after
rebate. It comes out to $249 for an install, which is what Home Depot
charges as well, then you get $150 rebate in 6-8 weeks.

After some looking around, the same WH at home Depot in a GE Brand is
over $20 more, plus the full install price. Sears charges the same
thing as Home Depot for their Hot Water Heater, and I didn't inquire
about an install price, and they didn't mention any install discount or
rebate, although they have a rebate on delivery. Yes, delivery of the
water heater gets a rebate, but not an install, at Sears.

In my searching around for experiences with this Whirlpool, as well as
the others, I found Pros and Cons, for Sears, Whirlpool and GE, as well
as the AO Smith I have now. It appears to be a hit or miss situation
like purchasing any major appliance. Buy it, and hope for the best.

Steve