Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Sofa Table

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 2:02:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
So it has been slow for me but that's OK, I do not like working in 100
degree heat with 90% humidity.

I don't like refinishing
especially when the finish begins to break down and get gummy.

Same here, as to summer weather conditions, but lately I've been working on the cypress chairs. The radio helps pass the hot/humid time.

Similarly, I don't like refinishing a badly damaged piece. Now and then, a decorator asks me to give a quote for upholstering a piece. After the quote and I go pick up the piece, she'll ask me to touch up or refinish the finish. I suppose she wants me to do this for free. Crap like this puts a bad taste in my mouth, before I even start the work. Makes me wants to avoid refinishing, even if its agreed to pay extra. The (slighting?) tactic has already made its mark.

However, sometimes I don't mind refinishing something. Seems I always learn something.

On a table-related note, Mom's small wicker table, for eating outdoors, is not wide enough for her best posture. The table legs bump against the chair, preventing the table top from being close enough to her. I want to make a table whose top rides above the arms and the legs are wide enough to slide past the chair sides/arms. Here's a pic of the small wicker table next to her. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Look forward to seeing your refinished sofa table.

Sonny