Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sofa Table

So it has been slow for me but that's OK, I do not like working in 100
degree heat with 90% humidity.

A customer is down sizing and moving to a smaller home. Furniture that
was in the garage is being considered for the new home and this piece,
links below, is one that I am refinishing. I don't like refinishing
especially when the finish begins to break down and get gummy.

The really ugly old finish.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

The underbelly of this old piece.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

The mostly screw construction of the individual pieces.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

The top.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

With the exception of the glued up boards for the top and legs no glue
was used. The cross braces joining the apron's and legs together were
dadoed in at one time and originally nailed in place with small flat
headed nails. Those did not hold and I replaced the nails with 1.5"
washer head pocket hole screws, 4 on each of the 4 corner braces.

Every thing except the top now has two coats of lamp black paint and a
coat of varnish to give the flat black a touch of sheen.

The top with a prestain sealer, two coats of Miniwax stain, yes I used
Miniwax, and three coats of varnish.

I'll post pictures at completion if the varnish will ever dry. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 2:02:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
So it has been slow for me but that's OK, I do not like working in 100
degree heat with 90% humidity.

I don't like refinishing
especially when the finish begins to break down and get gummy.

Same here, as to summer weather conditions, but lately I've been working on the cypress chairs. The radio helps pass the hot/humid time.

Similarly, I don't like refinishing a badly damaged piece. Now and then, a decorator asks me to give a quote for upholstering a piece. After the quote and I go pick up the piece, she'll ask me to touch up or refinish the finish. I suppose she wants me to do this for free. Crap like this puts a bad taste in my mouth, before I even start the work. Makes me wants to avoid refinishing, even if its agreed to pay extra. The (slighting?) tactic has already made its mark.

However, sometimes I don't mind refinishing something. Seems I always learn something.

On a table-related note, Mom's small wicker table, for eating outdoors, is not wide enough for her best posture. The table legs bump against the chair, preventing the table top from being close enough to her. I want to make a table whose top rides above the arms and the legs are wide enough to slide past the chair sides/arms. Here's a pic of the small wicker table next to her. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Look forward to seeing your refinished sofa table.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/18/2018 6:48 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

So in these cases I quote seperately for everything/"X" up front. If
they just want one thing and add the other thing after the fact, X+Y.

However, sometimes I don't mind refinishing something. Seems I always learn something.

On a table-related note, Mom's small wicker table, for eating outdoors, is not wide enough for her best posture. The table legs bump against the chair, preventing the table top from being close enough to her. I want to make a table whose top rides above the arms and the legs are wide enough to slide past the chair sides/arms. Here's a pic of the small wicker table next to her. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Look forward to seeing your refinished sofa table.

Sonny

Difference between "Sofa Man" and a sofa? Doug Miller[_4_] Home Repair 0 July 11th 12 12:44 AM
My Maple Sofa Table -w/Drawer Handles stoutman Woodworking 0 October 17th 05 12:16 AM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 1 April 3rd 05 06:59 AM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 3 March 15th 05 12:39 PM
Sofa / Hall Table Height? patrick conroy Woodworking 14 September 10th 04 06:35 PM