Andy Hall

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:20:05 +0000, Stuart
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:52:40 -0000, "Fraser" wrote:

Hi All,

My 3.5 year old Toshiba 32" widescreen has died, due to a faulty picture
tube. The problem is that now and again the green gun overloads, filling the
screen with a green zig-zag pattern, then the TV shuts down. The repair shop
say this is due to a bad design in the picture tube, causing overheating.
This is a well known problem in this tube (Philips) apparently, and this
tube is no longer used in new products.

Now, my question is, can I get Toshiba to provide me with a replacement
picture tube without me having to pay for it? IMHO, the set was very very
expensive when I bought it, and a three and a half year life span is simply
unacceptable for something like this. Is there any recourse under UK law to
do this? I was thinking about going along the usual "fit for purpose" and
"merchantable quality" lines. Does anyone know of any successes/failures of
people trying to do this?

I've googled around, but couldn't see anything. I swear I read/heard
something about forcing electronics manufacturers to repair out with
warranty, but I can't remember or find the source.

Thanks in advance,

Fraser.

I have seen it suggested in this NG -uk.diy,that 6 years is a reasonable
time to expect such items to "live" but haven't seen anything to back this
up.
Stuart

Not quite.

There is a 6 year statute of limitations. This means that you have up
to 6 years following purchase to pursue a claim. It does not mean
that the law is providing the equivalent to a 6 year warranty. A test
of reasonableness in the context of the item, its price, the market
and the circumstance is used.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl