Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Using a blowtorch to melt out a door lock

On 15/09/18 09:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
newshound writes:
On 14/09/2018 16:47, harry wrote:
On Friday, 14 September 2018 14:48:28 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

uPVC windows and doors.
They use a blowlamp to soften the plastic....Silent!

But surely these things are actually located within the extruded
aluminium internals?

No, there's generally no such thing.

Aluminium extrusion is only fitted if the frame has to be load
bearing, and that's unusual because usually there's a separate
lintel and the window/door isn't load bearing. It wouldn't be
fitted in the opener in any case.

Some of the news items brought up by the search show two different
techniques: melting the plastic around the lock and melting a gert big
hole in the plastic panel below and to the side of the lock - then
reaching up and turning the key conveniently left in place.

Nick