Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a blowtorch to melt out a door lock

I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell Wrote in message:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

& snap-safe etc I'd suspect
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 September 2018 14:48:28 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

uPVC windows and doors.
They use a blowlamp to soften the plastic....Silent!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2018 16:47, harry wrote:
On Friday, 14 September 2018 14:48:28 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

uPVC windows and doors.
They use a blowlamp to soften the plastic....Silent!

But surely these things are actually located within the extruded
aluminium internals?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch.

Would that work with multi-point locks ?

If it gives them access to where the lock activates the multi-point
mechanism/gearbox

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/09/2018 17:19, Jethro_uk wrote:

Also, just opening the door is of little value if you immediately trip an
alarm as you blunder through ?

1. The alarm is tripped.

2. A minute or two later a guy from the monitoring station rings up to
check it's not a false alarm. He waits on the phone for at least 30 seconds.

3. A minute or two after that, the police have the details from the
monitoring station.

4. If it's high enough priority, a minute or two after that, a police
car is on its way.

So, the scrotes have a good 5 minutes after the alarm is activated to
grab what they can and leave. If they leave on a motor scooter, some
police forces still have the policy of not pursuing them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

In Glasgow we prefer the old fashioned method...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRzk6ArKj18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Proud to be a known trouble maker ...
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

In Glasgow we prefer the old fashioned method...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRzk6ArKj18

you will notice the two wummin' cops are only there for decoration....tee
hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 14/09/2018 17:19, Jethro_uk wrote:

Also, just opening the door is of little value if you immediately trip an
alarm as you blunder through ?

1. The alarm is tripped.

2. A minute or two later a guy from the monitoring station rings up to
check it's not a false alarm. He waits on the phone for at least 30
seconds.

Makes more sense to have remote access to the cameras in the house
now and it will be obvious that he's wrecked the door to get in.

3. A minute or two after that, the police have the details from the
monitoring station.

4. If it's high enough priority, a minute or two after that, a police car
is on its way.

So, the scrotes have a good 5 minutes after the alarm is activated to grab
what they can and leave.

Not hard to ensure that they can't grab anything that matters in 5 minutes.

If they leave on a motor scooter, some police forces still have the policy
of not pursuing them.

Cant take much that isnt easy to secure, away on a motor scooter.
And the cameras have the full details of the scooter anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
news
[...]

For a country raised from criminal stock you dont seem to have inherited
the characteristics of a thief,
OTOH it is only the stupid ones who got caught so perhaps that explains it.

The scooter will be stolen, on false plates ,built from bits of others or a
combination of all that,
Either way it will more than likely found abandoned nearby and set on fire
while the riders will have got a lift from mate in a stolen or falsely
registered car. And cameras normally dont have the ability to see faces
obscured by hoodies and balaclavas which the scooters often wear.

As for alarms another technique in a remote location is to trip the alarm
,retreat ,see if anyone comes, and repeat. If any one comes you get an idea
how long a response takes and come back another day. If no one comes you
proceed to rob the place. In both instances hiding your features from
recognition on camera by masks, balaclavas etc and wearing disposable
gloves and ideally a disposable one piece protective suit like those used
by asbestos removal workers. Cheap as chips.
Fortunately many scrotes arent that intelligent enough to take al such
precautions.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 04:57:24 +1000, cantankerous nym-shifting trolling
senile geezer Rot Speed blabbered, again:

2. A minute or two later a guy from the monitoring station rings up to
check it's not a false alarm. He waits on the phone for at least 30
seconds.

Makes more sense to have remote access to the cameras in the house
now and it will be obvious that he's wrecked the door to get in.

Rot knows it better, again!

3. A minute or two after that, the police have the details from the
monitoring station.

4. If it's high enough priority, a minute or two after that, a police car
is on its way.

So, the scrotes have a good 5 minutes after the alarm is activated to grab
what they can and leave.

Not hard to ensure that they can't grab anything that matters in 5 minutes.

Rot knows it better, again!

If they leave on a motor scooter, some police forces still have the policy
of not pursuing them.

Cant take much that isnt easy to secure, away on a motor scooter.
And the cameras have the full details of the scooter anyway.

Rot knows it better, again! LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland Wrote in message:
Rod Speed wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Is your middle initial B ?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Pity about the video of the crim riding it.

Either way it will more than likely found abandoned
nearby and set on fire while the riders will have got
a lift from mate in a stolen or falsely registered car.

Not possible after every burglary.

And cameras normally dont have the ability
to see faces obscured by hoodies and
balaclavas which the scooters often wear.

Corse no one is going to notice someone dressed
like that applying a blowtorch to the front door, eh ?

As for alarms another technique in a remote location is
to trip the alarm ,retreat ,see if anyone comes, and repeat.

Not possible with a well designed silent alarm.

If any one comes you get an idea how long a response takes

Not possible with a well designed silent alarm.

and come back another day.

You're still stuck with the 5 mins.

If no one comes you proceed to rob the place.

But you can take **** all on the scooter.

In both instances hiding your features from
recognition on camera by masks, balaclavas etc

Corse no one is going to notice you using a blowtorch
on the front door dressed like that, eh ?

and wearing disposable gloves and ideally
a disposable one piece protective suit like
those used by asbestos removal workers.

Corse no one is going to notice you using a blowtorch on the front door, eh
?

Cheap as chips.

How odd that the one in the video had nothing like that.

Fortunately many scrotes arent that intelligent
enough to take al such precautions.

In fact none of them do with domestic houses.

And its a fat lot of use when the silent alarm
has the large footed fellas showing up with
the crim still inside the house anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit smelly and rather obvious to me. Surely somebody will sort of
notice?
Besides what about the multipoint locking doors?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If going equipped is still an arrest offence a lot of people might be
arrested who are decorators or some other kind of tradesman.

I think it is impossible to protect things well enough to stop the
determined thief if they think it worth while. The main petty criminal
stealing for a drug habit will take the easy option though.
For those premises where there really is nick stuff then let them in with
the minimum of damage to your property and use hidden cameras and silent
alarms to try to make sure they get caught. Police won't do anything much
these days unless you have pictures and almost give them the address of the
crim.
There was a case recently where the idiot criminal made a phone call on his
mobile from within the crime scene and there was sound and video being
recorded.
I don't think a lot of them are that smart.
Brian

--
----- --

"Jim K" wrote in message
Nick Odell Wrote in message:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

& snap-safe etc I'd suspect
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 09:49:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH more senile troll ****

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound writes:
On 14/09/2018 16:47, harry wrote:
On Friday, 14 September 2018 14:48:28 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

uPVC windows and doors.
They use a blowlamp to soften the plastic....Silent!

But surely these things are actually located within the extruded
aluminium internals?

No, there's generally no such thing.

Aluminium extrusion is only fitted if the frame has to be load
bearing, and that's unusual because usually there's a separate
lintel and the window/door isn't load bearing. It wouldn't be
fitted in the opener in any case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Sounds a bit smelly and rather obvious to me. Surely somebody will sort of
notice?

Yep. In spades when wearing a hoody and a balaclava when doing that.

Besides what about the multipoint locking doors?

Doesn’t survive the melting of the lock itself.

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

If going equipped is still an arrest offence

It is.

a lot of people might be arrested who are decorators or some other kind of
tradesman.

Nope, Adam has only been arrested for being drunk and disorderly, so far.

I think it is impossible to protect things well enough to stop the
determined thief if they think it worth while.

But its perfectly possible to make it hard enough so that the
large footed fellas show up before they get what they want.

Yep, **** over those who havent secured anything.

For those premises where there really is nick stuff then let them in with
the minimum of damage to your property and use hidden cameras and silent
alarms to try to make sure they get caught.

And cant get out while the large footed fellas are showing up.

Police won't do anything much these days unless you have pictures and
almost give them the address of the crim.

They do when they can see the druggys trying to get in.

There was a case recently where the idiot criminal made a phone call on
his mobile from within the crime scene and there was sound and video being
recorded.

And it doesn’t cost much to have that sort of system now.

I don't think a lot of them are that smart.

Yep, if they were, they wouldn’t be druggys.

"Jim K" wrote in message
Nick Odell Wrote in message:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

& snap-safe etc I'd suspect
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/18 09:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
newshound writes:
On 14/09/2018 16:47, harry wrote:
On Friday, 14 September 2018 14:48:28 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I've just read the second recent article in the local paper about
break-ins using a blow torch. Googling with my subject line brings up
dozens of examples.

Is this the burglar's response to bump-proof eurolocks?

Nick

uPVC windows and doors.
They use a blowlamp to soften the plastic....Silent!

But surely these things are actually located within the extruded
aluminium internals?

No, there's generally no such thing.

Aluminium extrusion is only fitted if the frame has to be load
bearing, and that's unusual because usually there's a separate
lintel and the window/door isn't load bearing. It wouldn't be
fitted in the opener in any case.

Some of the news items brought up by the search show two different
techniques: melting the plastic around the lock and melting a gert big
hole in the plastic panel below and to the side of the lock - then
reaching up and turning the key conveniently left in place.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 19:19:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH all the sick troll crap

Senile Rot knows is ALL better, yet AGAIN! LMAO

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 19:13:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Sounds a bit smelly and rather obvious to me. Surely somebody will sort of
notice?

Yep. In spades when wearing a hoody and a balaclava when doing that.

You always come across as a bit smelly too, you incontinent senile troll!
You not only stink of troll!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Old Craftsman blowtorch [email protected] Metalworking 8 January 28th 16 09:48 PM
Need help / tips for using blowtorch Alex J. Murphy Home Repair 35 January 27th 14 02:25 AM
Gas blowtorch: safe, or not? Ken Grunke[_2_] Metalworking 14 July 26th 07 11:45 PM
Gas Blowtorch DavidM UK diy 21 February 3rd 07 10:41 AM
Where can I buy a blowtorch head that connects to a regular LP gas supply? i.e. not propane Peter UK diy 17 September 30th 05 11:56 PM