Kevin Thornton

Default Replacement picture tube out of warranty?

"Fraser" wrote in message
Hi All,

My 3.5 year old Toshiba 32" widescreen has died, due to a faulty picture
tube. The problem is that now and again the green gun overloads, filling

the
screen with a green zig-zag pattern, then the TV shuts down. The repair

shop
say this is due to a bad design in the picture tube, causing overheating.
This is a well known problem in this tube (Philips) apparently, and this
tube is no longer used in new products.

Now, my question is, can I get Toshiba to provide me with a replacement
picture tube without me having to pay for it? IMHO, the set was very very
expensive when I bought it, and a three and a half year life span is

simply
unacceptable for something like this. Is there any recourse under UK law

do this? I was thinking about going along the usual "fit for purpose" and
"merchantable quality" lines. Does anyone know of any successes/failures

of
people trying to do this?

I've googled around, but couldn't see anything. I swear I read/heard
something about forcing electronics manufacturers to repair out with
warranty, but I can't remember or find the source.

Thanks in advance,

Fraser.

have a look at:

it is up ro you to show that the fault was inherent at time of purchase, you
can persue a claim against the retailer up to 6 years after purchase - 6
years is an absolute limit and does not apply to all goods as a matter of
course

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0054-1111.txt
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/saleandsupply.htm

there is a good posting at:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...0,993964144,99
3893351,993881376,993859354,993879828,993859643,99 3374340&seekm=brjuh9%24416
kb%241%40ID-176063.news.uni-berlin.de#link16